- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Cuatro Series - Manzanilla Sherry
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- 3 Years Manzanilla Sherry Casks Finish
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 06 Sep 2014 9:56 am by GLEN MAUR
6 × in wishlist
73 × member ratings
192 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Tomatin 2002
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.07 points
- Better than Fino. Salted, spicy, heavier sherried character.
Sherry, waxy fruits, cereal flakes, lemonade and orange marmalade.
Spicy oak, salt, blood orange, pomelo, Fanta and ginger.
Medium length, spicy, dry.
- Tasting Notes:
- Manzanilla is an especially light variety of Fino Sherry solely made around the port of Sanlúcar de Barrameda. Like Fino sherry it is made from the Palomino grape and ages under a layer of flor yeast. This layer is thicker than a normal Fino and thus allows less contact with the air. Manzanilla features dry, salty and maritime flavours.
Let's see how this Manzanilla whisky compares to the first Cuatro whisky.
Read the full review on my blog: http://tastydram.blogspot.be/2015/04/tomatin-cuatro-manzanilla.html
- The idea behind this series sounds pretty interesting: Take a batch of whisky distilled on the same day (January 15th 2002), mature it for nine years in ex-bourbon casks and then finish each quarter in a different type of first-fill sherry cask – Fino, Manzanilla, Oloroso and Pedro Ximinez – for another three years. It will be very interesting to find out how big, or small, each sherry type impacted the very same base whisky.
- Tomatin Cuatro 12 yo – Manzanilla (46%, OB 2014, 1500 btl.)
Nose: initially this came accross a little unfresh and porridgy, but it settled down nicely. A rather neutral Tomatin nose, with cereals, soft spices and waxy overtones. Yellow plums, pear and white grapes. Mouth: rather sweet (grapes, oranges, apples), hints of lemon cake, with a firm oaky spiciness (white pepper). Soft salty notes. Very smooth and enjoyable, the most natural of all? Finish: medium long, sweet (pastry-like) and peppery.
- Good dram, but too close to legacy. You do not necessarily taste the 12 years.
Sweet and fruity. Light fruits, apples, pears, a bit of maize bacon, orange marmalade and flower meadow. The nose is reminiscent of the legacy. In the background little spicy oak.
Oily and peppery on the go. Spicy oak, again orange, lemon and tobacco. A touch of nuts.
Medium long with salt liquorice, a touch of pepper and nuts.