- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Cuatro Series - Oloroso Sherry
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- 3 Years Oloroso Sherry Cask Finish
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 06 Sep 2014 9:50 am by GLEN MAUR
7 × in wishlist
94 × member ratings
206 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Tomatin 2002
15 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.22 points
- I don't really feel the heavy oloroso tickets, this one is the weakest of the Cuatro series I think.
Spicy sherry. Plum, waxy apple, salted caramel and phosphorus.
Powerful, oily and bittersweet. Cocoa, rubber, sherry, peach, orange peel, tobacco, pepper and ginger.
Medium length, spicy and fruity.
- Tasting Notes:
- Oloroso sherry is a different style from Fino and Manzanilla. The base wine is fortified to at least 18% ABV and thus prevents the yeasts to form the flor layer. The wine is exposed to the air and will oxidise during its time in the cask. The resulting sherry is a dry, slightly stronger and round wine.
How did this Oloroso finished whisky compare to its two paler brothers?
Read my review of the Oloroso finish here: http://tastydram.blogspot.be/2015/05/tomatin-cuatro-oloroso.html
- The idea behind this series sounds pretty interesting: Take a batch of whisky distilled on the same day (January 15th 2002), mature it for nine years in ex-bourbon casks and then finish each quarter in a different type of first-fill sherry cask – Fino, Manzanilla, Oloroso and Pedro Ximinez – for another three years. It will be very interesting to find out how big, or small, each sherry type impacted the very same base whisky.
- Tomatin Cuatro 12 yo – Oloroso (46%, OB 2014)
Nose: a spicy profile rather than the dried fruits galore you may expect from Oloroso. Hints of Christmas cake and red plums. Bramble. Also a slight waxiness that reminds us of the Manzanilla version, mixed with rubbery notes. Mouth: really sweet, almond paste and plenty of Christmas cake now. Caramel and milk chocolate coated nuts. Growing more and more candied. Still hints of rubber. Finish: long, sweet, candied notes but also heavy spices from the wood.