90.88/100
01.2004
Strength
25 Dec 2008 10:59 am

Whisky Reviews for Old Pulteney 1977 DT

6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.88 points

[January, 2018]  I just noticed that good old Serge rated this baby even one point better (at 91) than its sister cask https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/22392/1977-dt that I tasted yesterday.  So this is the perfect reason to do another dig in my cellar and open bottle no. 87 of this 26-year old release that I bought for 72,50 Euro in February, 2005.  To make it more interesting I do this review as a head-to-head with its 28-year old sister cask.

Colour:  Both drams have the same colour of old gold (maybe the 26y is a nudge darker) and the same great oily texture (hey, this is no surprise as they were distilled in the very same still run).

Nose:  This 26y offers a bold and punchy maritime profile (like a sea breeze at the shores of North Scotland) that is truly complex on barley sugary, caramel, spring flowers, honeys, beeswax, herbs, spicy woods and some delicate peaty aromas.  All very subtle and nicely balanced, I really like that!  The 28y shows a comparable profile but is somewhat more shy - so I like the 26y better on that dimension.

Initial mouthfeel:  The 26y arrives mighty and peppery in the mouth and instantly coats the whole of it.  The 28y does about the same.  Both show no distracting moments but a huge saltiness (what is great!).  This is a clear draw!

Taste:  Both offer a multi-layered and unbelievable complex tasting profile of dozens of different flavours.  The fruits are more present in the 26y while the 28y offers more herbal and spicy notes.  Because I prefer fruits over herbs this round clearly takes the 26y (but the 28y is a very close runner-up).

Finish:  Both finishes are virtually endless with tons of salt added to the profile (what is absolutely flabbergasting because no expert can explain where such salty flavours come from).  And I adore salty whiskies (there are not so many out there, the best chances are with Scapa and Pulteney, of course).  Again the 26y is a little more complex here as it offers more peaty notes than the 28y and this (minor) peatiness is soooo delicious.

Water opens both drams further and make them more easy to sip and enjoy - but to be honest:  I like the neat drams with their untamed power better.  These are truly magnificent whiskies and probably the best Pulteney's I tried (after https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/11518/old-pulteney-1968-gm that is my all time favourite).  If you like very complex maritime drams with a salty spike - go for this one!  Given this tasting experience I am willing to pay up to 350 Euro for such a bottle these days (as a drinker)...

And yes, Serge you were right:  The 26y is (a little) better than the 28y because of its peatier profile but it is very close!

[September, 2018] I re-tasted this dram tonight and fully confirm both my review and the score of 93 points. This is single cask malt whisky at its best! Rich and complex, balanced and incredibly layered, interesting to explore and dangerously quaffable to sip - what else can a whisky connoisseur pray for? Pulteney (still) is one of the most underrated distilleries in Scotland...

2. ARDBERG scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

I can relate to hs305, except for the nose and body that I thought were a tad better with the 28yo compared to the 26yo but overall, the 26yo comes out slightly on top for me as well.

Thank you for the sample!

3. Kalleholzbein scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Very good Whisky! Like it very much! Very enjoyable nose, sweet taste and finish. Recommended ????

4. Hvdree scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

5. VaryingViewpoint scored this whisky 91 points Moderator

Sample supplied by hs305

Nose; Musty old beeswax, over cooked pineapple.

Palate; Rich-thick old honey, salty-brine.

Finish; medium-long.

Very nice!
    • Taste

[October, 2005]  Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 179 that I bought for 75 Euro in March, 2005.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored this 92,5.  My notes state the saltiest whisky ever, ever, ever...  Stunning!