Mortlach 1988 CA

Sherry Cask
Strength
14 Jul 2014 2:44 pm by Kirsch

Whisky Reviews for Mortlach 1988 CA

13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.83 points

[December, 2016]  If you adore lots of sulphur (rubber is a sulphury flavour) in your whisky  -  this old Mortlach is the perfect dram
    for you.  It is overridden with so much sulphur that I cannot find any
    trace of the original whisky anymore...Why the hell do distillers use the expensive copper material for the
    stills and condensers (mainly to filter unwanted flavours like...
    sulphur) when in the end they fill the precious spirit in
    sulphur-riddled casks?  To me this is the smell of hell...  Not to drink - one for the sink!!!  I am not able to swallow this stuff.  But as other people obviously love such a taste, have fun with it.  I do not begrudge...PS:  The label of the Cadenhead sample that was provided to me stated another release https://www.whiskybase.com/whisky/92235/1988-ca but most likely it was mistaken with this one...

2. mandragoru scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

3. Ruud6421 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

This one
    you are gonna love or gonna hate. It took me a while before I decides, but I’m
    gonna go for love. After I have swallowed a sip, I just want MORE. Really
    warming. And a profile I think is unique for (some) Mortlach.
      Wow.
      This is not your average dram. Let’s see what we have here: rubber at first,
      lots of rubber. Very, very meaty. Like very rare beef. Some sherry fruit as
      well, like dried prunes and figs. Tobacco and black coffee. Some Oranges. This
      is a special and heavy nose. I feel like I’m gonna have to chew on the liquid.
    • Taste
      Well.. I
      wasn’t far off. A thick mouth indeed, very oily. Still lots of rubber and lots
      of beef. Some sulfury notes as well. It’s hard to detect something through all
      the beefy rubber, but there is somes fruit and coffee in there.
      Yes, big
      again. The funny thing is, at first the flavours keep getting stronger after
      you have swallowed. This goes on for a long time. I don’t think the finish will
      be out of my mouth until I brush my teeth. Very warming.

4. alex..w..fan did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

Note by Serge Valentin from whiskyfun.com:

Mortlach 25 yo 1988/2014 (56.8%, Cadenhead, Sherry Cask, 576 bottles) I just loved the latest 1994/2015 ‘small batch’ (WF 91) but that one was almost totally spirit-driven. Might not be the case here. Colour: gold. Nose: these bicycle inner tubes that were in the old official NAS. I mean, it’s more a dragster than a bicycle. A box of rubber bands, then a box of cigars, then a box of prunes. A lot of boxes, I know. Not 100% convinced so far. With water: not a few inner tubes, a whole factory! Mouth (neat): yah. A strange beast, with some bitter oranges, Worcester sauce, reduced caramel and green peppercorns. This is extremely extreme, not for the fainthearted and maybe not for overly sophisticated palates. Good news, we’re not one of them. With water: really, it’s rather Pirelli 25 yo. Finish: long and probably a little tyre-ing (yeah, well done S., like, how much do we owe you?) Comments: I think you really need to be into these sorts of heavily rubbery drams. But if you do, this is paradise on earth. SGP:373 - 76 points.

5. squaadgras scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

6. JacobaEd scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

7. Hvdree scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

8. Cobo scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

This Malt needs a good portion of air and nearly 20 mins. to open up. It then changes completely (in a good way) and is worth every Cent.

9. moviemaniac scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

A very controversial bottling, so it seems, with marks all over the
    place. But then, big, beefy, woody, sherried drams are not for everyone.

My full take on it:

10. Bishlouk scored this whisky 75 points Connoisseur

When I see the various ratings and ratings on the internet about this whisky, I think it must be part of "love it or hate it". Perso, it's hate it. I find it unbalanced, aggressive, uncomfortable. Pushing, even.
      Very sulfur in the first nose. Even I, who appreciate the sulfur to a certain extent, am inconvenienced. This sulfur side calms down a little bit later.
      Behind that, yellow plum, honey, burnt caramel, raisin.
      Alcohol is too present if you smell a little too much, unbalanced.
    • Taste
      Big astringency. Aggressive mouth, acid. Behind this acidity I detect sweet fruits in syrup trying to gain the upper hand, without achieving it. They are overshadowed by this acidity and aggressiveness.
      Alcohol grows in the mouth, to become too dominant.
      Astringent bitterness, dry peel of yellow fruits. Very light smoke of crame that goes out quickly. Unpleasant retro-olfaction on rotten yellow fruit.