- Whiskybase ID
- Blended Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Pure Malt
- Stated Age
- 21 years old
- Number of bottles
- 48.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottled for
- Commemorate the 80th Anniversary of the Founding of Nikka
- Added on
- 23 Jun 2014 7:07 pm by wbarchive_350097
27 × in wishlist
42 × member ratings
126 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Taketsuru 21-year-old
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.46 points
- Top whisky!????
- This is a suitable starting dram in a lineup for an evening. Nose started off promising but palate and finish didn't hold up.
Tropical fruit, spice cake, some oak, industrial coolant, soft florals
Buttery, spice cake, more tropical fruits, some chocolate shavings, oaky
Oranges, wood spice, anise, light pepper, oak tannins
- Man this is good; there's a reason people seek out age statement Japanese whisky and this is a prime example of why!
The nose is sublime! Lovely subtle oak and spice cake mix with black cardamom. Exotic wood oils and so much vanilla. Heavy autumn leaves and machine oil with a twist of mizunara spices.
The palate is crazy spiced! Clove and fruits, vanilla pudding and pine needles. Deep malt and sweets with hints of peat and camphor. Almost a little twinge of rose oil too.
The finish is long, massively long! This thick machine oil carries vanilla and dark wood spices through and peat smoke starts to mingle with the finish. There's a touch of OBE and a bit more of a roasted note... maybe something like Hōjicha (roasted green tee) sort of thing happening. The finish carries on with plenty of sweet peat.
- n: mango, peach, ananas, smoke, sweet cherry, grapes, suger, cake, sherry, ginger, wood, abit of soap and fresh gras... lucky bag
p: pepper, oranges, sherry, soap, older wood than nose, again exotic fruits and a bit dark chocolate and mint...
f:medium long, licorice, suger coated and a little smoke
- very interesting, well balanced...nose wins: 89P - bottle disappeared fast.
- A good, but not great whisky, in my opinion. Although it has a bit of the overall mix of virtues and general profile you may expect, it really did not stand out as much nor is it as unique as I thought it would be. A little disappointing, particularly for the price. The Yoichi 20 blows this away.
- Very well balanced, very complex. It has a little bit of everything. little bit of smoke, little bit of your usual sherry influence, little bit of the regular bourbon influence. interesting whisky for sure.
- Well done by Nikka
Serge gave this one 89 points