81.56/100
Blend
Cockburn & Murray (C&M)
Scotch Whisky
Oak Casks
Strength
43.0 (gradi)
Label
Silver Foil Capsule
Bottled for
Cogis Distribuzione
15 Jun 2014 3:31 pm by alectron

Whisky Reviews for Cockburn 08-year-old

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.56 points

1. rottendon scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

In retrospect, it was obvious that it was a blend because of the grainy notes, but since I assumed it was pure malt tasting, I did not expect it. It is a typical old blend, round and harmonious. The only thing that strikes me about the notes of hs305 is that old bottles tend to tip over, although rarely. At that time there were also clear differences between the individual batches, which could also be a reason. In any case, this bottle showed no wrong marks, unless you perceive grain as a bad mark.

Notes from a blind tasting.
      The first breath is medicinal, cough syrup or meditonsin. Dries even further, licorice, no fruit, a bit grainy, mixed pickles. A strong note of vanilla is added later. I am not sure, but I suspect a few ppm smoke. Oloroso notes, extremely dense and waxy, old bottle flavor. As time goes on, it becomes really sweet and heavy. Warmth brings more OBF and sweetness, caramel with distinct roasted aromas. Warmth is really good for him, he is getting fatter. Sherry-heavy.
    • Taste
      In the mouth also very creamy, soft, slightly bitter honey, a pinch of menthol, mineral notes, not a real kick but coherent.
      Dries slowly, overall rather short to medium length, simple fading, unspectacular. Could have an idea of smoke.

[September, 2014]  I emptied this bottle into the kitchen sink.  I bought it for 18 Euro in May, 2011.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 66.  My notes state it is full of flaws and off-notes that makes it impossible to drink (for me).