Isle of Jura Tastival 2014

Bottled for
Whisky Festival Exclusive 2014
30 May 2014 7:51 pm by M_W

Whisky Reviews for Isle of Jura Tastival 2014

10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.95 points

1. ARDBERG scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

2. Calmar scored this whisky 86 points Connoisseur

A good one, made with a soft and delicate character traditional for this distillery, is far from being a masterpiece, but very pleasant and tidy. All the flavoring elements are well balanced in the respective aroma, taste and aftertaste, but these have less harmony among themselves - the aroma sets a fairly high bar, the taste and finish unfortunately do not hold.
      Warm, woody-earthy, dry clay, light aroma of dried fruits, mushrooms, resin, carpentry workshop, lacquer, barely perceptible notes of smoke and rubber in the background. The fragrance seems to be woven from a multitude of weak halftones, the dominant as such is absent; discreet, calm, but also the depth and complexity are present.
    • Taste
      Woody lacquer, restrained sweet, then the growth of bitterness on an acid-sweet background, black bread (rye, literally black type Demidov).
      Light waves of spices - ginger, cinnamon, pink pepper, dried orange peel, a little burnt sugar, overcooked rusks, coal.

[May, 2016]  Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 2726 that I bought for 120 Euro in July, 2015.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 85.  Pls. see note below.

[October, 2014]  I had this dram during a "Feis Ile 2014" tasting at Bonn.In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 85.  My notes state this dram has matured for 12 years in American oak (bourbon casks) before some of these casks got another finish in six different French oak (wine) casks.  At the end all were married in an Oloroso Sherry cask.  Sounds complicated?  Right, and this is the taste as well - an "engineered" dram.  Neither the process nor the result is my "cup of whisky"...

5. ffmdino scored this whisky 70 points Expert Senior

for me an easy-drinking whisky
      Cowshed, light leather, cedar wood, red wine, slightly musty, hay, a little bit of smoke, honey
    • Taste
      soft, a little smoke, very pleasant leather, at first sweet, it later becomes bitter
      medium long, wood, malt, nothing of the red wine

6. mothers_finest scored this whisky 75 points Expert Senior

The whisky was seemingly finished 7 times. Out comes, contrary to expectation, a rather unspectacular, therefore good drinkable malt. What remains in memory are the candied oranges and the tolerable oak bitterness. 75/100
      Honey, seasoning on tap
    • Taste
      Spicy on the palate, sweet, candied oranges, a bit of cinnamon. Longer in the mouth, a slight bitterness spreads
      Seasoning remains on the tongue and back in the throat - medium length finish - slight orange citrus touch in the finish

7. FernetBranco scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

8. GlenSikkes scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

Tasting Notes and Comments by Jura;

A curious and unpredictable smorgasbord of flavours.

Thank you to everyone who joined our whisky tasting revolution by telling us what you tasted. The time has now come to reveal the official Tastival flavours...

Intriguingly, the sweet delight of wine gums and liquorice allsorts collides with creamy caramel and a fruity aroma of banana, pineapple and marzipan. That's what we taste anyway... But maybe you’ll taste something else?
    To kick off the first ever Jura Tastival, we've taken a selection of ex-bourbon American white oak casks and enhanced the whisky in 7 different oak finishes. Made from wood sourced from the ancient forests within the regions of Jupilles, Les Bertanges, Limousin, Troncais, Allier, Vosges, we've chosen nothing but the best! The characteristics of each French region has imparted its own unique flavour into the whisky.

This whisky is a true testament to the unique flavours that can be found in single malt, and after our #Tastival journey, we were inspired to create something with flavours that exploded off the palate. And we think we succeeded!

9. Paulski88 scored this whisky 80 points Expert Senior

10. markjedi1 scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

A special Isle of
    Jura, that much is certain, but I am not head over heels unfortunately. I did
    quite like the nose, though.
      Ooh, quite a special
      nose. Barely sweet (think apples and a touch of toffee), but mostly roast beef
      and hard goat cheese. Nice hints of bacon, which I did not really expect. A bit
      of selery salt and broth. Very hearty whisky, it would seem. If you are patient
      enough, it becomes a bit sweeter.
    • Taste
      It is very oily on
      the palate, almost creamy. Loads of wood, making it dry. Reminds me a bit of
      peanut butter. I am not sure I like that (in my whisky, I mean). Not as hearty
      and salty on the palate. Now it is very sweet, but I cannot identify any fruit.
      What a mysterious Jura!
      The finish is very
      long and spicy. Think pepper and ginger, but also some nutmeg. It dies a dry,
      woody death.