The English Whisky Fine Single Malt English Whisky

Market
gb United Kingdom
01 may 2014 11:39 am by Ailios

Whisky reviews for The English Whisky Fine Single Malt English Whisky

2 users have left 2 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 74.60 points.

1. Rien scored this whisky 73 points Connoisseur

• Taste

2. Ailios scored this whisky 60 points Expert Senior

First of all I just want to say I am English and this is the first English whisky I’ve had so I wanted to like this.  With no fake colouring added and a slightly higher than minimum bottling strength things look promising before you open the bottle. The nose is perfectly pleasant, nothing to get too excited about but decent. Young, perhaps a bit spirity, slightly grassy, almonds, stewed fruits and very light toffee. On the palette though there is a quite an unpleasant element which I don’t pick up on the nose or even on the arrival, from mid palette to the finish though there is a note of something like a mix of unripe bananas and hairspray, it really makes this a bit of a chore to drink. Whether it's just some new make roughness which needs ironing out with more time in the cask or its some dodgy casks in the vatting, I don’t know. So while I wouldn’t buy this particular version again it has if anything made me even more interested in trying other expressions to see if they're all this bad. Would be very interested to hear what others think of it.

UPDATE: I have now got round to opening my bottles of Chapter 3 (18 months old unpeated) and Chapter 14 (5 years old unpeated) and I do still pick up that hairspray like note but it is much more subtle. Chapter 14 is wonderful and Chapter 3 is great considering how young it is, I would give Chapter 3 a considerably higher score than this and that isn't even old enough to officially be called whisky. I don't often say this but I strongly advise you avoid this one, I wouldn't have another bottle of this if it was going free.
    • Taste