Ardmore 1988 G&C

02.2014
Strength
27 apr 2014 7:43 pm by RoyC

Whisky reviews for Ardmore 1988 G&C

10 users have left 10 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 86.76 points.

1. Totoro scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

[Blind Tasting Notes]

Tip: Hmmmh, which whiskys are bottled with around 45 percent? It won't be a Dalmore OA... ;)
    I'll say: UA, Highlands, Bourbon cask (barrel rather than hogshead), over 20 years.
      Very mild, with vanilla quark, crème caramel, apple compote and some spicy wood, which becomes stronger and more complex over time and is complemented by roasted aromas - coffee, coal. Initially 85-86, with more time in the glass 87-88
    • Taste
      Holla the forest fairy, but he pretzels properly for only 45 percent. Starts out harmless, but then it gets so peppery and spicy that for my part I had to swallow earlier than I would have liked. Doesn't necessarily appear as if it was burned too sharply, but rather as if the spice/spiciness would come from the wood. Is he older than his nose lets me think? So first sweet-sour, then peppery-spicy-hot, then a woody (but tasteless) finish with citrus notes flashing again and again. Quite boisterous, but of high quality, with a great freshness and crispness and super crisp, delicious oak notes.
      Find the wood here really exciting. Somehow has a certain depth, and an amazing variety of flavors. There's something crisp and fresh, but also something heavy and charcoal... In between, I also had to consider whether it had a light smoke. Difficult to describe but pretty good.

2. Create a free Whiskybase account to read all 10 reviews for this whisky
    Create free account
  3. riegerjonas scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

2023-01-08
      little smoke, direct pear, vanilla, white wine foam, zabaglione, some lemon
    • Taste
      a bit flat, acidity, smoke hardly noticeable
      short, sour

4. Holzwurm scored this whisky 89 points Expert Senior

5. toklian scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

N21 P21 F21 B21

6. alex..w..fan scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

21 21 20 21 83

sweetly simple, watery, but overall drinkable and not bad, but clearly more was expected, high points and not to be found with fire, IMHO ... sorry

7. Vladimir Ziryanov scored this whisky 89 points Connoisseur

immediately open, light fruit, in a haze of a fire
    • Taste
      quite tasty, again light fruits and soot prevail, but it seems a little liquid :(
      but the finish sags a little because of some acidity

8. KonstUA scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Nose 22, taste 21, finish 22, balance 22

9. Dramlicious scored this whisky 90 points Expert Senior

This is one of those drams you can sniff and sip for hours and still find something new in it. Just great!

My full review:

[September, 2015]  It was quite a while ago that I had my last Ardmore and this bottle was recommended to me, so let's have a try...

...usually Ardmore is a very powerful whisky, but this one seems to be rather subtle.  Whoever expects the "oompf" will be disappointed, but if you love a delicate, complex and balanced whisky - this one is for you (and for me, of course).

[December, 2019] I opened another bottle no. 203 that I bought for 116 Euro in March, 2015. I fully confirm my old review and score, one of the most quaffable drams of all times (to me, but I like the Ardmore profile anyhow).

[July, 2021] Another re-taste and despite the fact that most other WB members rate this dram rather average only I am still in love with this Ardmore. I fully confirm my old high score, this Ardmore is on par with excellent Islay drams - and dangerously quaffable, no question about it.
      A very fine nose with beautiful floral, grassy and citrus notes together with just a little peat provide a superb profile. I really love this nose, very clean and nicely balanced. Of course, there is no special "kick" in it hence I can understand everyone who scores this rather average only but after too many "kicked" drams I really prefer a decent and untampered nose.
    • Taste
      On the palate the peat is much more present, and wow: what a spicy attack with salt, pepper and chili! Then the citrus kicks in, followed by a sweet vanilla finish. Completely faultless, complex and again very balanced. If you look out for a special kick: Just enjoy the harmonious interplay of flavours instead of searching an unusual one you never had before. When I grew older there came a time I experienced almost every kick any dram can offer and then I started to enjoy harmony over spikes - maybe this is the "Wisdom of the Elders", who knows?
      Great whisky, the finish is long and not drying at all. I could sniff and drink this as a superb pre-dinner malt every day... Even if you beat me really hard I still can not explain why I enjoy this dram that much, but isn't that the great thing about whisky? To love a drink and be not able to explain why... What else could force you more to join in and experience this mystery by yourself?

11. addyhd scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur