9 × in wishlist
42 × member ratings
57 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Deanston 1994 CA
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.79 points
- Quite underrated.
- Very pale, so the butts must have been used a few times before.
Nice nose with plenty of green apples and citrus fruits. Neat the palate is a bit hot, and it improves a lot with a bit of water.
A good buy at 80 €.
- Spicy fir honey, heather, leather, oak and tobacco leaves. And a juicy green apple.
- Lovely waxiness on the nose, but the palate is too aggressive and the aftermath too bitter for my taste.
At first, green fruitiness, malty sweetness, and a chalky minerality. Crisp apple and some powdered coffee, due to the refill butts. A slight alcoholic zing. Then more creamy sweetness, almost like corn starch, and warm cereal notes. A waxy side, à la Clynelish. What a nice surprise!
Pungent and punchy attack, with a spirity zing and some bitter oak in the fore. Sweet and weighty body, with lots of sweet grains and honey. Needs water, but then again, adding water increases the bitterness. Not the sweet spot that refill casks can hit.
Definitely some tired-cask bitterness, alongside some tart fruit rind and only the faintest memory of sweet malt.
- Cadenhead's own tasting note:
Nose: waxy fruits and green apple skins along with some cold meats. Lots of lemon notes, some olive and fig chutney
Palate: Spiced apples, green bananas, whole limes and coconut milk. Fresh cut grass and lots of fragrant herbs
Finish: White wine, watermelon, cloves and a little oily
- Very strong, thick and oily. But everthing works well together. I enjoyed this bottle very much. Just little hints of sherry, this one is more on the malty and zesty side, with a strong oak influence. I guess the casks where refill sherry butts. Highly recommendable.