Macduff 2000 GM

Refill Sherry Hogsheads
Strength
28 mar 2014 9:46 pm by Angelos

Whisky reviews for Macduff 2000 GM

3 users have left 3 reviews for this whisky. Average rating is 86.91 points.

1. Mortar1703 scored this whisky 88 points Expert Senior

Not the most complex dram but I can't think of anything negative. Delicious no nonsense whisky
    • Taste

[August, 2015]  Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 38 Euro in December, 2014.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored this 90.  My notes state an unbelievable nutty profile (all sorts of different nuts) that I never had before in a whisky.  In that sense spectacular...

[December, 2019] I opened another bottle that I bought for 38 Euro in May, 2015. Now I can do proper tasting notes, finally...

...which is good because the nose is not that impressive but both taste and finish are great. For a 13-years old dram this is close to perfection and I could empty such a bottle in one go (but I remember there will be a hangover the next morning, so I have to stop now).
      The colour is jonquiripe corn and the nose offers a broad variety of nutty aromas (I adore nuts and eat a handful of different nuts every day) in a grassy-floral profile. Today it is not that flabbergasting anymore as it was with the first bottle because I had several even nuttier drams inbetween (go for older Tullibardine, if you like nuts). Nevertheless, this is a fine and delicate nose but I score it average-only tonight. By the way, I like the Glencairn nose a little better than that out of a big blender's glass.
    • Taste
      The taste is much better on an adorable mix of molten barley sugars, milk chocolatey notes and the nutty flavours, of course. Somehow this reminds me of chewing a white chocolate with nut splinters, really delicious. Actually, this is dangerously quaffable! It is not very complex but beautifully balanced without any sub-standard impression at all and greatly chewable. The chocolatey notes grow even stronger this way with interesting spices refining the tasting experience. Oops, I have to serve me another dram (this emptied faster than usual during a tasting session)...
      The dram arrives warming and coating on the palate without distracting moments. The finish is long and extends the beautiful taste very nicely. It slowly vanishes in different fading waves which add no new impressions but these are not needed anyway (because all is perfect the way it is). No distracting moments at all - a beautiful 13-years old dram, no doubt! Water is not needed but it does no harm either (it increases the nutty-ness on the palate) so I like this dram both neat and reduced to about 40% abv.

3. Arquebus scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

When learning about and tasting whisky the blind tasting is often cited as the benchmark test for scoring in a non prejudicial or objective way. However, if like me you research a whisky before buying this is not always possible. I bought a couple of these Macduffs (one to drink one to keep) purely based on the Whisky Bible 2014 and Jim Murray's Score of 95.5pts. It was also a chance to explore an independent bottling from a distilery hitherto unknown to me  - the official bottlings from the Macduff distillery are bottled as Glen Deveron...

Although it's only one guy's opinion at the end of the day - I've found his ratings are generally good (although I'm aware there's a lot of hostility in the industry around possible bias of his whisky awards). In this kind of tasting it's more about a reverse process of working back from the score and trying to discover why someone with a lot more experience thinks the whisky is so good...! I've had a few reflll sherry cask whiskies recently and I must say - they're a bit of a revelation. Fresh fill sherried whiskies like A'bunadhs are great, but the sherry can dominate the malt.

(see Ralfy review 627 for more on refill sherry casks)

This one reminds me of smelling my Dad's whisky as a child, even smelling the empty glass the following day. The malt and the cask compliment each other and create a classic whisky experience. The sherry notes are subtle, the nose is complex but subtle - there is a great oakiness in this one and it's not smouthered with fusty damp wood/ cellar floor notes. This is an elegant dram, with a fabulous nose and an even better long lingering finish with plenty of oak spices. The whisky is supremely balanced - fresh, crisp and vibrant. I'm not getting the hazelnut praline (perhaps almond and pear tart?) Jim talks of -  but the Jaffa cake (chocolate/ citrus orange) is there.

I've spent over 6months with this one and it's actually magnificent in my opinion.

This one is well worth a punt if you can still find it. 92 pts from me