9 × in wishlist
21 × member ratings
22 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glenrothes 1990 CA
10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.42 points
- A big sherried whisky. The cask dominates the whisky, but the malt can take it's effect. Lot's of dried fruits, cacao, spices and stuff like figs and nuts.
- Tasted it at the first Whiskybase Gathering in Rotterdam (26 November 2016).
Nose: Fruitiness of the sherry casks leads the way. think of stewed concentrated fruits, syrup for pancakes.
Taste: more meaty than in the nose, with some furniture wax, meat stock and bouillon and leather and a hint of sulphur.
Finish: long and think, a bit of a metallic astringent sulphur taste, with a thick pancake syrup on the tongue.
- Strong influence of the Pedro Ximinez cask with lots of dried fruits, old varnish wood, and old leather. But.. also very rubbery with lots of sulphur (personal experience). So impossible for me to give it a (good) score.
- WITH WATER
Nose - Figs, stewed plums etc etc.
Palte - Much better now but its still bitter with the woody notes. Still has bitter chocolate and coffee.
Finish - medium length.
I suppose I am not a sherry head but this was in the cask too long. It must have been a very active cask as the woodiness swamps it which at 18 years suprises me a little.
This is much better with water but not really my sort of whis.
Smells like weak turps mixed in with rich sherry, forrest fruits, mocha, chocolate, coffee. After 5 minutes it does improve.
Considering its only 18 years old it is very woody and I gets black cherries. dark bitter chocolate.
Medium length on chocolate with faint hints of orange and other fruits.
- Nose: Very intense, dried fruits, minimally sour
Palate: Strong sherry, dried apricots, dates, noticeable wood notes
Finish: Very long and spicy, the dates stay long…
Overall: Almost like the big brother of the Blair Athol Dark Sherry. They take the same direction, but due to its higher age, there is more wood influence and complexity. Just a drop can keep you busy for minutes.
- Un excellent sherry bomb !
Nez puissant, particulièrement imprégné par la patte sherry. Bois, fruits à coque, fruits secs, pain d'épice, chocolat et moka.
Ca continue sur le sherry bomb. Chaleur, épices de Noël, fruits sec, chocolat, noisette, prune noire légèrement amère.
La chaleur épicées perdure, légère sécheresse boisée.