47 × in wishlist
68 × member ratings
125 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig 1998 MoS
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.70 points
- Bottle # 21 sold empty at ebay.
- Color: rust red
Nose: Pure: immediately after pouring the worst iodine Chemienote, after a few seconds then freshly paved road, after a few minutes we are where we wanted to go: smoke from the pan, BBQ sauce, saline Rinderkraftbrühe. Can one speak of fruit here? Most likely a kind of smoky raspberry jam. Islay + Sherry at its best. With water: now the Laphie loses more space against the sherry, blood orange, butchery on a hot day.
Taste: Pure: as expected sweet peaty explosion, the Laphi comes through well but is already "attacked" by sherry, light touch of charred toast. Slightly bitter almond on the palate. With water: now comes almost an oloroso-like Nussigkeit, but is then loosely combined with roast pork with salt crust to a round overall picture.
Finish: yes as well: long, dirty, peaty, sweet.
Kommentar: Very cool, for some Islaypuristen maybe a little too much Sherryness. But that is whining at a high level. Thick Islay sherry bomb! I think it's better.
- A very elegant sherried Laphroaig despite a high ABV. Highly recommended.
Refined sherry with rather subdued smoke. A clean, precise nose. Very elegant.
Very, very balanced, and good integration of peat, smoke, and sherry. Doesn't feel 58% ABV at all. Very warming, but at the same time, doesn't sting. Cherries and raisins. Tame yet precise and powerful. Love it!
No off-flavors. Quite perfect, actually.
- Very interesting malt. Nose and initial taste remind of a 25ish years old highland park in terms of its fresh and cooling appearance. To me this was really unexpected. In the mouth sherry competes with the smoky laphroaig. Very well balanced.
- Maybe something superimposed but still cool to the box
Neat smoke that immediately brings an incredible sweet behind. Publicly dark fruits pushing the smoke back. Some chocolate comes through.
Burnt on, then very dark fruits, going to the dark chocolate. Very sweet, but strong. At the end a bit sharper with the train to the mint.
Laphroaig - long and dirty
- Quote Whiskyfun - December 18, 2014
Laphroaig 16 yo 1998/2014 (58.2%, Malts of Scotland, sherry hogshead, cask #MoS 14001, 224 bottles) Colour: amber. Nose: oh this is smooth and rounded, classic, clean, wonderful sherried peated whisky. No rough edges at all this time, no gunpowder, no bicycle inner tube, and no rubber bands. Smoked earth and soot plus glazed chestnuts, Corinthian raisins, dried pear rinds, and then indeed, more classic Laphroaigness managing to find its way throughout the sherry. Sea air, iodine, smoked almonds, camphor… What a wonderful balance this time! With water: more of all that, plus a little soft curry powder or something. Unless that’s Christmas spices. Mouth (neat): immediate serenity and happiness. Om… I mean, some stunning notes of smoked oranges. Perfect integration this time. With water: some kind of high-end old Banyuls, old sweet wine, old rancio… Amazing. Finish: long, perfect, full, elegant… and magical. Not many sherry casks can produce such clean and profound spirit. Love the ganache in the aftertaste. Comments: it seems that we have a winner! SGP:655 - 92 points.
- Wonderful stuff. I was surprised to see it is so smooth and the alcohol is so well integrated, hardly needed any water despite of the high percentage that it is bottled. Develops a charming sweetness in the aftertaste, mixing with some some smoky tastes. Stays with you very long. A very rewarding dram in my opionion and a top notch Laphroaig cask selected by MoS.