Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Brora 1972

Market
gb United Kingdom
02 Mar 2014 7:21 pm by very_bad_day

Whisky Reviews for Brora 1972

11 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 95.22 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

WITH WATER

Nose - Definitely sweeter now on lemon & lime, brine, still some meat I cannot help thinking of a tin of hot dogs in brine (great) plus very rich Christmas cake.

Palate - The peat is mixed with a waxy, oily slightly mature cheese taste and there is a little more bitterness now Still a little drying.

Finish - Long, creamy with a slight sherbet fizz on the tail.

This is quality for sure but the Douglas Laing Brorazilla is better.

This is 40 years old, tastes more like it is approaching 30 and probably the edge has been taken off the spirit in the cask for me but I am sure others think it is aged to perfection.

Cannot argue with the quality whatever your verdict.

I think I will see how it compares to the massively peaty 2004 30 year. the 2004 which is by common consent probably the peatiest of the official releases. Luckily I saved a bit from my last bottle.

I think the nose on the 2004 is just about perfect, there is more peat on the palate on the 2004 30 year but the 1972 40 year has a little more depth of profile.I think the scores I gave them both of 95 each is fair when compared together on taste, there is really nothing in it other but the fact that you can buy 7 or 8 2004 30 year for the price of a single 40 year puts it into perspective.
      Reminds me of the 2004 official release a little, The peat is mixed in with so many things.

Bonfires and smoked sausages springs to mind, brine , tar,  sitting on the side of a harbour smelling seaweed.

I think the peat is quite delicate on this and there is just a faint hint of lemon peel.

I could nose this for hours.
    • Taste
      Kappow, creamy peat explosion but much more restrained than I was expecting with a slight oaky bitterness. Caramel and smoked meats.

It just slowly grows on the palate and it is thick, syrupy and oily like a cask strength Caol Ila on steroids.

The caramel/toffee note grows and it becomes a little dry but the peat compensates for this.
      Long but restrained and you are left want more, much more.

2. Rosebank88 scored this whisky 99 points Expert Senior

A revelation!
      Incredibly complex and outstandingly structured. Really multidimensional and perfect. Begins wonderfully aromatic with oily aromas, mild peat smoke, herbal tones, oak, salt and slightly metallic aromas. Within these levels, countless nuances and other levels coincide. Over time, more and more kelp, tidal pools, but also walnuts, heather or spruce honey and a subtle fruitiness of countless old apple varieties follow. Then initially follow slightly farm-like flavors, old tillage equipment, leather straps, Oldtimergarage, and kiwi and gooseberry. Over time, it will turn floral to hay, potpurri, and species-rich grassland before fruity notes break in again: waxy kitchen apples, currants and oranges. Finally, an aromatic smoke breaks in, reminiscent of smoked bacon, smoked meat and smoked eel. Truly unbelievable, with every single flavor acting like a grain of sand in an hourglass. With water: even more complex but also more focused the individual main components: thisla diverse honeys, seaweed, Japanese tangcrackers, nut oils, wax, cornelian cherries, currants, citrus zests, salt, but also farm-like notes and coffee roasting. Incredible!
    • Taste
      Wow! Inscrutable complexity. Smoky after burnt grass, peat and roasted chestnuts. Then vegetable notes but also bacon, Scamorza, Tang, tidal pools, citrus zests, hay, straw bales, old barn, yes almost even stable? Now followed by freshly dug up bed, old tillage equipment, old agricultural machinery, industrial port, jute, old oak, and the subtle fruitiness of Johannisberen and bittersweet apple varieties. With water: kaleidoscopic. Incredibly complex and unfathomable. Again salt, peat smoke, fried bacon, smoked fish, coal smoke, oily aromas, wax, but also tart fruity notes, flowers and honeys.
      Infinitely long and complex. The density of the aromas seems incomprehensible. Again full of smoke, peat, roasted aromas, farm herb, dried fruit, dark honeys, coffee, cocoa, buttery refelxes and subtle fruit notes. Howl!

3. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

This is how I rate the 1972 Brora I have tried (excluding the 1972 G&M offerings at 40%)

1 - 1972 29 year 59.5% Douglas Laing Platinum

2 - 1972 22 year58.7% Rare Malts OB

3 - 1972 40 year 59.1% Travel Retail Exclusive

4 - 1972 1st Annual Release 30 year 56.3%

Although I gave 1 & 2 96 points the DL edges it for me.

Edit:- January 2018:- now after trying the Brorageddon 1972 DL Plowed Society that would slip in 4th putting the first release to 5th on the list.

4. lincolnimp scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

The nose is awesome on this.

Notes from a sample. Great to have tried this but the price is crazy even for a bit of history as the oldest Brora so far.

5. corbuso scored this whisky 97 points Expert Senior

An impressive whisky, with a surprising peatiness after 40 years,and with a remarkable complexity. A whisky that you can enjoy sipping for a very long time.

Waxy, peaty, round, slightly meaty and farmy, without any dryness.

Simply excellent and in another league (to my opinion) compared to the latest 35 or 37 YO OB.

6. checkpointuk scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

http://www.weinkenner.de/2014/clynelish-und-brora-1965er-corti-brothers-vs-1972er-the-big-cat-34156/ Color: gold
    Nose: Mighty peat in combination with farmy notes. Cooked apples (sweet applesauce) with vanilla and cinnamon. But leather, cough syrup, wax and heavy oil (waste oil) with a white pepper note are included in this dream. Now there are also added resin, menthol and aromas of black olives. Nearly perfect.
    Taste: A mountain of peat, which is growing rapidly and is almost inevitably more powerful. Dry and fresh at the same time! Sweet fruits, but also grapefruit and grapefruit, restored with the farmy notes from the nose: horse stable, straw, earth, wet sheepskin and feta cheese with honey, brown cane sugar, beeswax and smoked fish. Wow!
    Finish: Very long and an absolute experience! Again creamy farmy notes, lots of peat with lots of smoke, vanilla and quite a bit of wood for the age.
    Remark: Apart from the price fantastic! Fresh, invigorating and with a lot of power - and that after 40 years.
    96 points (nose: 96 / taste: 96 / finish: 97)

7. Rossi99 scored this whisky 97 points Member Senior

everything is just close to perfection, but just a little bit lack of complexity to the Rare Malts 1972(61.1%) on the nosing!
    Other than that, It's a truly Art!
    You won't forget the finish, wordless, endlessly, and lingering with Old Brora's spirits! WoW

8. WhiskyJug scored this whisky 98 points Expert Senior

Brora 40 yo 1972 (59.1%, OB, decanter, single cask, 2014)
    This very lovely decanter is available for pre-order at World of
    Whiskies, but you'll have to collect it from one of the travel retails
    shops in the UK from April 21, 2014. So you may have to spend £6,995.00
    on the whisky plus around £29.99 on an air ticket (Easyjet or Ryanair,
    your call). Or you rent a jet if you’d like the whole experience to be
    more prestigious. Something that I really like, also, is what’s written
    on the bottle, “Proud survivor of a legendary distillery”. If it’s
    proud, it’s got a soul, and I always thought great old whiskies were
    having a soul… There, new evidence! Colour: gold. Nose: oh, no! I
    remember when we were downing the various 22yo Rare Malts like if there
    were no tomorrow (I may well be exaggerating a bit here, I’m a bit like
    Stirling Moss and his famous line ‘the older I get, the faster I was.’
    The older I get, the more Brora 1972 I drank, haha), so yeah, when we
    were having Brora 22 72, they were all utterly brilliant, but always a
    little rough around the edges… Well, the nose of this 40 is utterly
    brilliant and its edges have been wonderfully polished with all sorts of
    precious waxes and oils. What strikes me as well is that we’re getting
    very close to the best old Ardbegs from the same era. Maybe even above
    them if, like me, you enjoy a kind of tenseness in your whisky. I don’t
    know why, it’s just a feeling… Maybe that’s these stunning
    resinous/sappy notes, or this medicinal side that was less obvious in
    the younger 1972 Broras.

Other
    than that and because we haven’t gotten all day, let me just mention
    olive oil, cigars, menthol, teak oil, smoked oysters, drops of diesel,
    Spanish ham, special brine, vetiver, verbena, sugar cane… So a truly
    fabulous nose, a real movie. With water (because you see, we must):
    astounding clarity and freshness, that’s all I’ll say. Mouth (neat):
    amazing. A tidal wave, the arrival’s incredibly smooth for Brora, and
    then it never stops growing, getting bigger, hitting harder, invading
    your palate and leaving you totally breathless (which could even be a
    little dangerous, seriously). It’s a symphony, or a long suite by the
    Duke Ellington Orchestra. You don’t control anything, the whisky
    controls you, which is a weird feeling I have to say. A wonderful, but
    weird feeling. Excuse me? Flavours? I’d say grapefruits, oysters, peat
    smoke, beech smoke (smoked salmon), touches of ink, wasabi, earth,
    samphire, lemon curd… And bags and bags of other flavours, the list is
    just too long, someone could build a whole website just for this baby.
    Full maturity but absolutely no signs of tiredness, quite the opposite. I
    don’t know why, Tilda Swinton’s name pops in my mind, probably because
    she’s Scottish. With water (which might be useless but we do follow
    procedures at WF Towers, mind you): a.m.a.z.i.n.g. Waxy and smoky
    citrus. Utter perfection. Finish: it’s the freshness that’s impressive
    here. An endless list of flavours, all coated with the most refined
    smoke in Scotland. Comments: I don’t think I’ve mentioned oak, have I?
    That’s whisky, when you don’t feel any oak. I’d add that I actually
    started Whiskyfun.com because of Brora, and this expression is the kind
    of whisky that keeps me going. I think this has been too long,
    apologies. SGP:567 - 98 points
    whiskyfun.com

9. Alex did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

The Brora 40 Year Old Single Malt Whisky is exclusive to World of Whiskies and will be available for purchase from 21st April 2014.

Available for pre-order (GPD 6995) at World of Whiskies:

10. Alex did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

scored massive 98 points from Serge @ Whiskyfun.com!