- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Cask Strength
- 30.06. + 04.07.2003
- Calculated age
- 09 years old
- 1st Fill Bourbon Barrels
- 497 - 504
- 59.4 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 03 Feb 2014 6:22 pm by vriesdich
3 × in wishlist
30 × member ratings
60 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Benromach 2003
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.30 points
- A 'different', quite characterfull and complex young Benromach with a rather distinct flavour profile. A bit stubborn and probably not to everyone's liking , but realy worth exploring.
Peat, lemongrass with hay and grass combined, umami, mineral, some tea and briny notes as well.
With some water addded the savory notes are more prominent with some cheese, more tea and hay/grass notes along with a wet woody touch.
Soft arrival, quickly followed by oily and peaty notes, with some briny, almost cheesy elements even, and again something woody, like birch. Not bitter, not oaky, but a dry, rather sharp yet not unpleasant wood note.
rather long and cling-y, an oilyness that dries out with peat and wood notes.
sweet alcohol, needs water: opens up, lots of vanilla, fresh citrus, active cask, briny
sweet, vanilla, briny, citrus, there is some grain in the background, bittersweet, licorice, dries a little, has a pleasant mouthfeel
medium-long with dry american oak and a touch of peat smoke
- Sweeter than the 2002 edition, less malty. A bit peatier perhaps.
Peat, citrus, malt, vanilla sugar, orange and a little peach. With water a whiff of washing powder.
Sugar candy with a chocolate layer (kikkers & muizen). Peat, malt, lime, vanilla sugar, hay and pepper. With water a little apple.
Peat, malt and peach.
- The bourbon influence on this gives it a completely different and far more aggressive character compared to the 10-year-old 100 proof, but it’s still a fantastic bottling. It really shows off that mainland style of peat that I really like, with some light fruits playing a supporting role.
Definitely well worth the price asked.
Reviewed in my blog: https://iwriteaboutstuffilike.com/2016/08/29/benromach-cask-strength-2003/
Buttery popcorn. Charred wood. Smokey porridge. Oil dust. The filling from lemon cremes. White pepper. Slightly floral. Light grape juice.
Quite peppery. Loads of woodspice. Dry, earthy Peat. Creamy oatmeal. Lemon drops.
Long. Lemony. Dry Wood. Wood smoke. Honey.
- Fragrance: sweet, light lacquer and back insecticidal background? 84
Taste: the first sip and ... Young alcohol, barrel strength is something! the tears were made)), Glenfarclas immediately mentioned 105.)
Spices and bubonic barrel in the first place (vanilla), unfortunately, without development 84
With water (drop 3-4) there was light chocolate mushroom and everything (.
Aftertaste: Short 83
Drunk, ticked and ... forgot.
- sweet alcohol, more does not come first, with water it goes on: Sweet, a lot of vanilla, citrus, nice freshness, great barrel, neat oak, Hintergründig cereal, a bit maritime / salt / smoke, bittersweet, licorice, dries pleasantly in the mouth , reminiscent of the Balvenie Single Barrel 12, in direct comparison less lemony, but with a beautiful maritime touch and some salt liquorice