88.80/100
Bottled for
USA Exclusive
21 Jan 2014 7:31 am by acousmatique

Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 1996

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.80 points

1. Palindrome scored this whisky 92 points Expert Senior

Nose: Heaven! So complex with everything from herbs to high quality salted caramel. A bit of bitter chocolate, sweet oak, soy sauce, dry hay, clover, honey.

Mouth: Caramel, freshly baked waffle cone, clotted cream, oloroso coming to the fore, rising and then the finish turns dark with a bit of baked peach cobbler, rock candy and a light wave of alcohol.

Finish: Long, decadent, with a sweet finish.

Note: I have tired varying amounts of water but I prefer this one at bottle strength. However, the tongue does fatigue from such a high ABV. I recommend sipping this whisky in tiny humming bird nips to keep the tongue from numbing. Once that happens, all of the subtleties mute. That is why the first sip of this one is heaven. I have not kept it in my glass longer than fifteen minutes. I just can't! It's so good. But I shall experiment with more time in the glass eventually. This is one of my favorite purchases. I was quite happy that a 1996 performed this way. This horse has wings! A Pegasus among whiskies.
    • Taste