85.10/100
Tall Bottle, Screw Cap
15 Jan 2014 10:18 pm by Erik Elixir

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for MacPhail's 10-year-old GM

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.10 points

1. Gareth74 scored this whisky 89 points Expert Junior

Oh, this is good. And I think I recognise you....

I’ll eat my hat if this isn’t a Macallan. It screams it from the first nosing. The sherry, the warm woody notes, cake, baking spice, peach stones, wood polish, old sideboards, a bit of sweet black tea and a touch of toffee. And a bit of red licorice. No sulphur, no off notes, just a glowing nose that invites a sip. Lovely stuff.

In the mouth, everything the nose pointed to surely is confirmed. Again, if this isn’t a really nice Macallan I’ll eat my hat, your hat, any hat. Rich and sherried, no sherry bomb, just a perfectly formed. No sulphur. Tea, marmalade, orange oils, lovely light oak, old floorboards, aged vine fruits, hints of well cooked Madeira cakes. Beautiful sweetness without it stepping over the line to become overpowering and drowning out any of the other more subtle thing happening in the background.

Even now, half an hour after finishing my 5cl G&M Tartan bottling I can still taste its sunny sherry flavours. Wonderful stuff. If I see this on sale anywhere again I’m having it. Excellent.

I know nothing about this range by G&M. I bought a job lot at auction of about 30 ‘Tartan ‘ 5cl miniatures. This was the first one to be sampled. What a treat.

2. Erik Elixir scored this whisky 82 points Connoisseur

tasted with Aby and J J
      fudge, spices, orange, pepper, wood smoke and citrus - lemon
    • Taste
      vanilla, pepper, oily, nuts - pastachio and bitter fruits
      drying with pepper, orange, liquorice and nutmeg