89.08/100
Bottled for
Taiwan Exclusive
11 Jan 2014 11:13 pm by Beccis

Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 1990

1 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.08 points

1. dram_on scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

Color: 1.5 (auburn, polished mahogany)
    Legs: the legs on this are unexpectedly nice, perhaps it has something to do with it being a sherried whisky
    Nose: alcohol burn, oaky, tannins, dark chocolate, dark caramel bits, rotten plum liqueur, burnt toast, tobacco
    Palate: crushed dried chocolate powder, tobacco, hint of rotten berries, concentrated caramel, nuts (cashews?)
    Finish: long, peppery, tobacco (really strong now), menthol, sour plum, ultra dark chocolate (90%) liqueur
    Balance: the tobacco-dark chocolate-plum/berry-caramel note was lasted throughout the dram, this isn’t cognac?
    Water: water doesn’t seem to do much, it’s still cognac-y only not as in your face, some black tea notes appear though
    Comment: This was not what I had expected from this bottle, but it’s still ok. I’m still looking for the right sherried whisky. I have now tried four Glendronach SiC (2 oloroso, 2 PX), and I prefer oloroso vs PX. However, I’m curious to see if I prefer Glengoyne vs Glendronach. Glengoyne is the distillery that kept me interested in whisky after having tried Yamazaki 12 and Balvenie 12 DW, which were my first and second whiskies, respectively. I almost gave up on whisky. The Glengoyne 21 (old blue matte packaging) scored an 84 for me, and it’s half the price of these Glendronach 20yo+ SiC.

Updated Comment: it's now been a little over a year since I had my first pour from this bottle, and I just had my second pour ... the taste has definitely improved, so I'm gonna increase the score there
    • Taste