- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- from 2009
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- Pedro Ximénez & Oloroso Sherry Casks
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 50 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 11 Jan 2014 1:38 pm by Siodhachan
one in wishlist
28 × member ratings
133 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 12-year-old Original
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.91 points
- ok this standard from GlenDronach. Mainly sherry and sweetness with a light touch of vanilla and nuts.
- balanced sherry barrel maturation, delight, complex and varied
- Pleasant expression, with obvious sherry influence. Not that malty as 8 yo "The Hielan", easy going and leaving overall good impression. Might be a good everyday dram without special demands. The price also looks very reasonable
Sherry, sweet, dried fruits (apricots, apples, raisins), red orchard berries (sour notes), orange zest, toffee, some floral notes, slightly dusty, notes of oak. Water opens honey and cane sugar aromas
Sweet, slightly spicy (nutmeg), oatmeal, butter, viburnum berries, fudge, roasted almonds, vanilla, light maltiness, oak
Medium-long, dry, oaky, sweet, malty, nutty
- Glendronach 12 is matured in a mixture of Oloroso and Pedro Ximémez casks, meaning that is it noticeably lighter and sweeter than its Oloroso-only siblings. As to be expected from a fully sherry matured whisky, the nose is dominated by the smell of sultanas. Besides this is sweet pineapple, apricot and faint hints of malt and nutmeg. The palate is greeted with a spoonful of brown sugar, after which the acidity from the fruits and some gentle heat from the wood ramp up. The finish is fruity and woody, but the wood here is very mild and pleasant. This whisky is undoubtedly well made, with no off or unpleasant notes, however I much prefer when the sherry flavours play second fiddle to the distillate's own character.
- Good entry into the Glendronach range. In the finish he has a trailer, otherwise a solid sherry barrel-stored whisky.
full of sherry brings wonderful oak and fine spiciness, very fruity and slightly creamy, vanilla sauce, some milky caramel, a hint of peat smoke, ripe lime and orange possibly pineapple, and then pear Helene with cinnamon lingers for a long time in the olfactory organ, some honey the sweetness of the PX comes out clearly, then a Fruchtintermezzo: raisins, dates and plums and figs - all dried, some strawberry compote, dark berries, baked apple, some nutty components, very complex and harmonious
Ginger and oak spice on the go, light tingling on the tongue, then rather strong oak and sherry, light smoke again, some bitterness on the barrel, light sweetness, very dry fruit, clove and cinnamon, minimal caramel
warm, a little malt, a lot of oak, again dried fruit, dark chocolate, very light spiciness of pepper and nutmeg, also cinnamon, salted peanuts, but then builds up surprisingly quickly