88.12/100
Barrel
Strength
23 Apr 2014 11:05 am by Bachess

Whisky Reviews for Burnside 1989 WB

15 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.12 points

1. Maurice_M2 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

2. Hvdree scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

3. KayMeertens scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Pretty sharp in the nose initially, with some ammonia. Then softer: Peach, orange, vanilla, honey, apple, caramel and coconut cookie. With water more lemon and vanilla.
    • Taste
      Peach, orange, honey, vanilla, caramel, apple, oak, pepper and smoke.
      Peach, honey, caramel and smoke.

4. Erik Elixir scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

dramtastic pick by the Whiskybase crew!

tasted with Aby
      honey, apple, pear, melon, spices, vanilla, some glue, nice oak and even some bourbon
    • Taste
      exotic fruits, bowl fruits and banana candy (foam)
      very full with vanilla and herbs

5. alex..w..fan scored this whisky 81 points Connoisseur

21 20 20 20 81

powerful and aggressive, too aggressive for me ...

6. toklian scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

N21 P21 F20 B20 - without water
    N21 P21 F21 B21 - with water

7. waal scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

#WagnerAlexTastingNotes No. 676 Burnside, 24yo, 06 / 1989-03 / 2014, Cask 12452, 51.7% ABV - WID 50000 https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/.../50000/burnside-1989-wb facts: Type: Blended Malt Origin: Scotland (Speyside) Distilleries: Balvenie, Glenfiddich ("Tea-Spoon") Bottler: whiskey base Bottles: 207 Trivia: The 50,000 bottle which was collected in the whiskey base. "Burnside" - There is no connection with the same distillery from Campbeltown, which was closed in 1924. Rather, it is very, very likely to be a Tea-Spooned Whiskey by Balvenie and Glenfiddich. For the following notes, the blended malt was diluted to about 47% ABV. First impression / Color / consistency: Sweet flavors come out of the glass while pouring. The blended malt lies in ocher colors in the glass and runs down the glass wall in narrow passages at average speed. Aroma / Nose feeling: Sweet, mineral notes and a slightly stinging nose feel despite the relative drinking strength. Maltiness dominates the flavor spectrum. Vanilla adds to it flattering. The 24 years in the barrel can not be concealed - the wood comes to light in the background. Suddenly "Anis" screams at me. Crap - I do not like anise. Wow, the blended malt is complex. Popcorn and nougat join. The orange tea gives me the rest. I have not had such a nose in a long time. The slightly pungent alcohol has now disappeared. It's time to try the scotch. Aroma from the empty glass the next morning: Scarf, slightly mineral and minimal sweet. Taste / mouthfeel: Relatively strong start with crazy grassy taste. The mouthfeel is watery. The second sip reveals numerous flavors. Again, the barrel is to taste clearly. Slight bitterness and a moderately astringent feel are the nod to the famous fence post. While the nose is still convinced the taste lags far behind. If I did not know better, I would assume a high Grain share. It's the bitterness, which is often contained in whiskey with high grain content, which makes me so startled here. I lack substance and quality here. I try to wrest something positive from the taste of the blended malt, but I do not succeed. I do not taste apples, pears, apricots or peaches here. The slight sweetness is actually the only thing I can say positive at the moment. Finish / aftertaste / Length: Bitterness comes to the fore here as well. Short and watery, the Burnside says goodbye. It is actually not much over here and the short finish makes it not easy for me to determine flavors. Overall impression / comment: The nose saves the blended malt over the rounds and brings him over 80 points. If I only consider the taste, I would even award less than 80 points. All in all a blended malt that did not convince me. Since I had much better Blended Malts (and Grains) in the glass (Burnside WID 93738 I really liked very much). Nevertheless, my notes read harder than they really are. In the glass I had an average bourbon barrel aged whiskey, which certainly has its justification. I would not buy, though. After a countercheck with the reviews and the notes in the whiskey base, I'm a bit surprised. My rating is cut off the worst for this whiskey and also in various notes called bright fruits, etc. were basically not available to me. Maybe I was a bit too hasty with the dilution to 47% ABV. Who knows? Points: 82/100 #Burnside #BlendedMalt #Scotch #Scotland #Speyside #TeaSpoon #Balvenie #Glenfiddich #Whisky #EnjoyLife #Enjoyment #Scotch #DrinkResponsibly

8. waal scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

For the following notes, the blended malt was diluted to about 47% ABV.

9. Allandale scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Very good choice from Whiskybase.
      Sweet and fruity. But also a little bit sharp at the start. All kinds of fruit: apples,pears, melon, and oranges.Vanilla,lemon. Oaky notes.
    • Taste
      Lovely.Exotic fruit basket. Complex. But also herby notes present.Very full and warm. Some smoke at the end.
      Lovely long and warm. Complex again. All the sweetness comes together.

10. aphex scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Liked the creamy texture and the spicy and grassy touch.
    Nice fruity whisky.
      Pear, apple. I had Whiff of tarte tatin but it quickly vanished. Vanilla. Honey. Mint.
    • Taste
      Fruity, syrupy, spicy, creamy. Honey. A bit grassy.
      Medium, fruity and spicy.