Laphroaig 1974

Strength
14 Oct 2007 9:31 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Laphroaig 1974

18 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 94.37 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

One of the best whiskies I have ever tasted, possibly the best, an absolute masterpiece, I love it.
    In memory of my father, here's to you Dad.
      I used my best glass for this one and when I took the glass lid off and inhaled it nearly blew my nose off, which was really unexpected.

A an extremely jammy old Laphy all on dark fruits, fruit pastilles, dark polished wood and some definite oak in the mix.
      With a little air there is some brine and I swear I get hints of rhubarb which in whisky I have only had about 3 times

There is a little peat in the mix perhaps some trademark iodine but nowhere near what you might expect but after 10 minutes in the glass the trademarks start expressing themselves much more.
      Dark treacle notes emerge, salted caramel but the dark jam notes are still to the fore, a multi layered nose for sure.
      This for me is very difficult to score, there is so much going on but the fumes in the glass seem exaggerated, you almost have to wade through them and the aromas are constantly changing between the sweeter jams and the earthy elements.
    • Taste
      Jesus its like silk in a glass, what a lovely mouthfeel but it is also very dry and the oak is most definitely there but not overpowering because of the superb quality of the sherry casks.
      I have to say as mouthfeels go you would struggle to better this, that is my first impression anyway.
      The sherry is perfectly weighted mixing with subtle peat, dark toffees, some pepper emerges , various other spices.

I thought this was a little dry at first but as balance and everything else go it is spot on
      Your tongue tingles, you are left wanting more, so expressive

2. sagara-kun scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

I expected a lot and am not disappointed.
      Above all, exoticism predominates. The fruit of passion is present and defined. Iodine is also very present on the nose, counterbalanced by a touch of citrus: lemon and candied orange. The longer you wait, the more fruits open, as well as the medicinal side of menthol. Buttered aromas also appear as and when.
    • Taste
      That's wonderful. Alcohol is perfectly integrated. The palate is a fruit lesson. On exoticism above all, passion fruit and mango. But we also smell red fruits, blackcurrant and blackberry. A veil of peat and gunpowder lifts the whole.
      Long final rather typical sherry, on fruits and jam.

3. Seele scored this whisky 96 points Member Senior

the one.

4. ReKnird scored this whisky 95 points Member Senior

One of the best three Bowmore with a tropical focus.
    If it's just the aroma and taste, it may drop about 6 points...
    My best in the finish category is Laphroaig!

5. lincolnimp scored this whisky 96 points Connoisseur

scored the palate 96 and after a sherry monster head to head i feel this whisky is as good as any of the 75 i tried in including the Glen Cawdor 1964, so 96 points is a fair overall score on reflection.

6. n11 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

It's my best Laphroaig.
    Incomprehensible fruit and sherry complexity.

7. HP22 scored this whisky 95 points Member Senior

Stunning malt

8. minialkoff scored this whisky 95 points Expert Senior

Nose: very soft fruity, but not smoky at all - not like Lafroig in anything.
    Taste: magnificent, just in moderation but I note the extraordinary softness and tenderness of taste. Like fresh spring grass.
    Aftertaste: long and pleasant. After drinking the dram, I did not want to try anything else for a long time.
    Total 95

9. Owidram scored this whisky 97 points Expert Senior

I was dreaming that I could taste it one day.

And I was not disappointed.

Typical Laphroaig nose. Medicinal, peat, high end Sherry flavours. So Old school. So Laphroaig. So complex. What a perfumed nose, giving a lot and changing all the time. This is just perfect balance between distillery caracter and wood that serves and produces a unique combo.

Mouth is oily, still peaty, amazingly perfect. Mix of aromas produces something unique, unified by the wood. Here again, you have all the laphroaig best characteristics and sherry but they are not fighting each other, they are one.

The best whisky I ever tasted.

10. Allandale scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

A good old fruity Laphroaig?
      Crusted note with whiffs of a tackroom: saddle soap,hoof glue, leather behind, soft orchard and tropical fruits. Take your time: old church aromas.
    • Taste
      All tropical fruit at the front palate. Smoke comes from the mid-palate. The power/strenght comes slowly up.
      Long,fruity,slightly tarry.