- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Highlands & Islands (H&I)
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- New Label
- Added on
- 18 Nov 2013 10:53 pm
13 × in wishlist
216 × member ratings
557 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for The Ileach Peated Islay Malt H&I
41 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 79.37 points
- Excessive smell for me. Even the flavor is something too spicy. Any drop of water and a while in the glass opens up a pretty nice sweetness and fullness. Clearly affordable but no favorite
- This was rated 87P lately on Whiskyfun.com and there were clear assumptions made that this might be Lagavulin because of the taste profile being similar to that of the Lagavulin 16. So I was curious and spent the amount of 23 EUR on buying one bottle. It's not up to me to judge whether or not Serge Valentin is "right" on whisky, but... I was very surprised to find I clearly agree. In fact, there are really some similarities to such a degree that I cannot imagine this being anything other than Lagavulin.
Regardless of whether that assumption is correct or not, this is really decent single Islay malt whisky for a very good price.
- So please do not overestimate the influence of oak / chocolate, but it is there, and this is not a metallic-young, nicely colored single-phenolic whisky, which can be good for its 25 €
dry-smoky, slightly fleshy, very light disinfectant, dried, old kitchen herbs and old, dry, dusty wood ... a hint of sweetness, I probably form only because of the great color.
smoky-fleshy (BBQ sauce), nothing piercing, slightly bitter-sweet (herb bitter / cough syrup), and even a noticeable oak effect (dark chocolate / cocoa)
medium long, pleasant, light smoke, a little bitter chocolate, dry
- Sweet-maritime Islay Rauch, somewhere between Caol Ila and Laphroaig. Could a young Lagavulin be too diluted?
In addition to the heavy smoke, there is a lot of vanilla and light citrus fruits.
The basic tone is a beautiful smoker, but with too little alcohol, which makes it very watery.
Phenolic peat smoke with maritime notes, spices, raspberries, honey, ash and a touch of youth.
Peat smoke with raspberries, honey, maritime notes, spices and a touch of youth.
Medium length with peat smoke, ash, malty sweetness, citrus fruits, maritime notes, spices and a touch of youth.
- Very watery and the taste is ... not there. Barely peated.
Cold smoke, lemon, maritime, honey, caramel, nuts,
Apple, some honey, lemon, ash, some pepper
- The palate suffers from the low ABV, but it is by no means poor. The nose is quite impressive. Looking forward to trying the CS version. One point up for the price/performance ratio.
dry smoke, yeast, sauerkraut, sweeter, chocolate candies, lemon pepper, homemade ketchup, fried onion, marshmallow, tangerine, green apple, BBQ sauce, apricot ice cream, muffins
smoke, slightly sweet, boiled vegetables, beans, a trace of sherry, coffee, bitter, slightly watery
bitter, smoke, coffee, omelette, cocoa, astringent, coals, coffee