Ledaig 1997 TWhm

Strength
20 Nov 2013 7:39 pm
Cask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Ledaig 1997 TWhm

8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.74 points

1. Buc scored this whisky 75 points Member Senior

Burning cowshed !!! Holy shit, in the truest sense of the word. When I once heard HL talk about a Hazelburn he found manure in his nose, I couldn't believe what I was hearing. Now.
    I haven't had this note paired with peat in my nose yet and it took a little bit of effort not to stop smelling it. When you have the drop in your mouth, it's a lot easier. A rather lighter coastal malt with pleasant notes of peated malt. Not a miracle of complexity for me, but easy to drink. The aftertaste is also okay. Above all, especially the first time, the shock of the attack on the nose remains.
    PS Definitely interesting, but I wouldn't put this malt into the glass of any beginner of our beautiful hobby, at least not one I like????

2. DenisLeonov scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

great! ... the fragrance is on the verge ... on the verge of disgust and I love that, honestly I love it! 88!

3. Rom scored this whisky 87 points Expert Junior

A very fragrant, earthy peat, a little tea and dried flowers (roses?) Make up a very expressive nose. Powerful mouth very fresh, both sweet and salty, slightly covering texture. The peat returns for a very long finish. A simple but good whisky, well done.

4. KayMeertens scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

I like the finish best about this whisky, but the nose is very interesting too say the least.
      Farmy like a stable. Also peat, lime, autumn leaves, wet limestone, mould cheese, walnut, diesel and even a little meat. The dirty, musty type of whisky that you cannot describe without mentioning notes that seem disgusting but are not that bad really. OK, one more generally accepted note then: chocolate.
    • Taste
      Again a heavy farmy peat. Chocolate, coffee, salt, liquorice and old nuts.
      A lot of dark chocolate. Peat, smoked ham, lime, toffee and still a farmy whiff.

5. markjedi1 scored this whisky 87 points Connoisseur

Without a doubt the
    most special Ledaig I have ever tried. The nose is not for sissies. Around 70
    EUR.
      Holy crap! Take that
      quite literally please. Boy, this stinks beyond belief! Initially I am thinking
      (and I am not making this up) excrement. That is right. Shit! Cow pat! The
      smell of a sink, rotting wood, sour milk. Damn, this is not an easy dram to
      sniff, let me tell you. But the funny thing is, the more you smell it, the more
      you come to understand that this actually works. Farmy does not even come
      close. The peat is unmistakable, as are some coastal elements. Sea breeze,
      liquorice and salted bacon with a fat rind on the barbecue.
    • Taste
      On the palate, this
      is quite dirty as well. Peat, farm, tar, barbecue, spent pipe tobacco. On the
      palate, some fruit emerges. Oranges, hints of gooseberries and kumquat. Very
      salty too. Goes up and down between sweet and salt.
      Wonderfully long
      finish with a delicious smoky and medicinal character.

6. Toffie76 scored this whisky 87 points Expert Senior

Smoke, peat / ash, mineral. Pretty lemony, a little polish, polish. An earthy, muddy side, wet ashes, wet dirt. A floral touch that is reminiscent of Bowmore. It's lively.
    • Taste
      Smoke, peat, an alcoholic kick at the beginning of the mouth. Fluid texture, an oily strand. It lacks a bit of body, I think. This whisky seems younger than the 15 years announced. As much to go squarely on the young, even very young Ledaig (like the Archives 7 years for example) to take advantage of the maximum vivacity of the smoke and the peat. We find a lot of citrus in the development. A bit short.
      A touch of vanilla, slight astringency and bitterness in the finish.

7. Bishlouk scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

Back tonight on this Ledaig. After two big weeks of opening the bottle, the farmer's side developed strongly. Especially on the nose. That I dive my sis in the glass, I have the impression of entering a cowshed mud stable of cow dung mixed with wet straw. Even the smell of cattle can be felt!
    The side "fresh orchard", meanwhile, seems to me to have disappeared. Only the peaty passion persists, powerful and rustic.

Obviously, I like less this kind of ultra-peated profile (although I prefer the farmer to medicinal, anyway) than when there was a subtle balance between peat and freshness.

This Ledaig nevertheless remains well done as a whole and will please lovers of this kind of profile.

8. Bishlouk scored this whisky 88 points Connoisseur

This scale (at times we also believe a fight to know who will dominate) between the peat, the freshness of an orchard and sweet / sweet is very well done, and makes you want to come back to explore further this dram. Once again a success of The Whiskyman.
      A fine farm peat, vanilla straw, fresh green fruits, wet flowers. A lot of things happen in the nostrils, this cool mix / peat is very interesting.
    • Taste
      We find farm peat, softened by honey. Here too, this balance peat (pretty rough by definition) / softness is very well done and out of habits.
      Acidulate, wet straw and a slight smoke. The previous softness gives way to the passion of peat.