84.38/100
New Map Label
5020613042087
29 Sep 2013 3:44 am

Whisky Reviews for Braeval 1995 GM

8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.38 points

1. Erik1908 scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

G&M's Connoisseurs Choice. A nice, often well priced, underrated and undervalued series. I also like the old fashioned labels on the bottles. Shame that they released the new series probably to attract a new (younger) audience. Of course the prices went up. Logic right?
      Nice, musty, dirty old-time nose. Typical refill character. No straight in the face but smooth and gentle. Sweet and fruity. Time increases the great nose.
    • Taste
      Full body like the old-time whiskies. Initially a bit sharp, but after a while this disappears. Herbal and fruity flavors step up.
      Medium long+ and pretty good. Taste remains in the back of the throat for quite some time. Mild and gentle til the end.

2. Cask1988 did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Funny...lately I’ve tasted this at a session with my friends and I was not very blown away by it. Now, a few weeks later, I poured myself the sample I took from that same tasting and I am actually a little amazed about how I like it better now then back then.
    I generally am quite a fan of refill sherry matured whiskies because of their subtle character.
      Subtle & soft. Sweet & fresh. Herbs and mild spices in front, after that caramel fudge and after that a nice layer of sherry driven flavors. Grenadine and walnuts. I don’t know the Braeval character very well but I do notice the subtle maturation left more then enough space for Braeval to reveal it’s own flavors. After a while I get a dried red fruitiness, combined with honey.
    • Taste
      Subtle, friendly, balanced. Oak wood, dried spices and again a pleasant nuttiness in a peanut kind of way. After a while it gets quite creamy. Taste good have been a little more exciting. Not much of a development is happening here. When swallowing fruitiness joins in, in a ground cherry kind of way.
      Finish remains rather long. Hay, barley, a hint of smoke, not peat smoke but burnt wood kind of smoke. Dried spices and a wee bitter herbal flavor provide the end.

All in total it might not be an earth shattering dram but it definitely pleases me and my refill preference plenty.

3. RobbievdBrink scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

After some airtime this Braeval really livens up. The fresh herbs move to the background and the caramel / toffee sweetness move to the fore. Add some fruits and spices and you have a decent whisky.

4. Steven79 scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

5. Defeatless scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

This is a oké whisky. Especially if they use this type of whisky as a blend filler. Nothing wrong with it, nothing outstanding either.
      The smell is somewhat hidden. This smells delicately fruity, little hints of canned peach and some dried apricots. But it isn't a burst of flavors honestly.
    • Taste
      Mild in the sense of a delicate whisky. It is sweet, lightly fruity and has a nice touch of these canned peaches again. It is just a friendly whisky, everybody will like this. A middle of the road whisky.
      Short-medium lenght. Here is quite a bit of vanilla and caramel to be found and again fruit syrup from canned fruit. Fades away a tad bitter, but not really unpleasant.

6. The Macallan scored this whisky 79 points Connoisseur

Maltstock 2017

A last dram at Maltstock after a wonderful night at the campfire. I hoped for more, but I have tasted better Braeval whisky's. Fruity, yes but to flat on the palate even when my palate was triggerd again by some sparkling water, it didn't gave me what I was looking for.

7. Bishlouk scored this whisky 85 points Connoisseur

A "daily dram" or a "starter" pleasantly fruity and balanced. A classic Speysider that does not revolutionize the genre but is clearly to taste if the opportunity arises.
      At first we might think it is too wise or past, but after a few seconds we realize that it is rather fine and "posed". Very focused on the yellow apple, but I also detect white reason and, after aeration, dry pear. A very slight fruity dust twirling in the background.
    • Taste
      Sweet white fruits and vanilla are essential. A monolithic mouth, little changing, but very pleasant. Juicy pear, peach, a little sour lemon. Some spicy spices develop during dram.
      Short. As you go through the dram, a fruity bitterness appears and develops. Apple peel dries the palate once the fruit is out.

8. markjedi1 scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

The nose was
    interesting, the palate ok, but the finish leaves something to be desired.
      The nose is quite
      interesting, because besides the sweetness from the sherry cask, I also detect
      something… dirty. Not sure how to describe it, but let me call it stepped on
      grass with mud. It is the best I can do. Light, but there. It also have something sour as if from a candy. Becomes sweeter as you
      leave it to breath, with louder citrus (oranges and lemon, but also
      lemongrass), crystal sugar and light vanilla. I find this nose quite nice.
    • Taste
      The body is somewhat
      light, almost watery. That is a bit of a let-down. But the taste is oaky.
      Citrus returns in full force, supported by some ginger, pepper and liquorice. A
      surprising trace of woodsmoke gives it depth. Midpalate I get some strawberries
      and raspberries with a hint of milk chocolate. Yep, this is not so bad after
      all.
      The finish is fairly
      long and peppery, but little remains of the fruit. It leaves the mouth parch
      dry.