91.03/100
Strength
07 Nov 2008 10:01 pm
UncoloredNon-chillfilteredCask Strength

Whisky Reviews for Lagavulin 1988 HB

8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.03 points

[March, 2017]  When this whisky was released back in the year 2000 I thought it was very greedy by the bottler to charge 129 Deutschmark (66 Euro) for it.  A 12-years old whisky around that time cost no more than 20, max 30 Euros.  But out of curiosity I bought a bottle and tasted it - and I was totally flabbergasted:  This was the most perfect malt I had tasted up to this day, way better than even all of the much older releases I had so far.

So I saved all my money and bought as many bottles as I could afford until it was sold out.  And over the next years to come I offered every whisky rookie that stepped into my cellar an introductory tasting with a lot of magnificent stuff (old Macallan, Highland Park, Ardbeg and the like).  But absolutely surprisingly to me more than two third of these people that drank single malt scotch whisky for the first time voted for their most liked dram - this Lagavulin. It is a bold whisky with an enormous malty sweetness, imbedded in heavy peaty flavours that all are perfectly rounded and balanced.  It sticks to your tongue and throat for hours, the finish is virtually endless.  Despite its heavy 56,2% abv this dram does not need any water.  Even today after more than 15 years I adore this dram.  It has a boldness and purity that is almost impossible to find, neither in the past nor today.  Maybe one need to drink 1000+ whiskies to realise this, but most of the rookies in my cellar intuitively recognised it when drinking malt whisky for the first time in their life.

By the way, absolutely no drying or bitterness in the finish!  It is and it will ever be one of the greatest whiskies of my life...
    • Taste

2. ARDBERG scored this whisky 94 points Connoisseur

Second part of a Lagavulin tasting, comparing Lagavulin 12 (2017), Lagavulin 1995 (12 yo FOCM), and this one. The 2017 couldn't hide it's modern style provenance, the FOCM had a nice sherry note flirting with smokiness and peatiness and the 1988 HB was from a different galaxy that I'd like to be beamed to immediately. Scotty?
    • Taste

3. whiskycuse did not rate this whisky Expert Senior

Tasting Notes:

[October, 2005]  Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 80 Euro in January, 2002.

[January, 2008]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 100 Euro in February, 2002.

[April, 2010]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 66 Euro (129 Deutschmark) in September, 2000.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored twice 92,5 and one times 95.  Please see detailed review below.

[November, 2009]  I had another dram during a Prof. Schobert "Islay" tasting at Bonn.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 95.  I took no further notes (I knew it by then).

[October, 2004]  I had another dram during an "Islay" special tasting at Bonn.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 92,5. Unfortunately I took no detailed notes except that some drops of water do not change a lot but more water weakens it (score 87,5 with a fair share water).

[April, 2002]  I had this dram during a Grant Carmichael tasting while cruising the river Rhine aboard MS Godesia.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored this 92,5. My notes state a pale white wine colour and a heavily oily body.  As I had many drams of it before I took no notes...

8. checkpointuk scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

second tasting 09/12/2011 : again 90P ( superb at the beginning; in the aftertaste a litlle bit too bitterly )!