- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Ambassador's Choice
- Stated Age
- 10 years old
- 70% Bourbon Barrels & 30% Oloroso Sherry Cask
- Number of bottles
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 30 Aug 2013 8:17 am
15 × in wishlist
187 × member ratings
551 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Highland Park 10-year-old
24 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.72 points
- Does this 10 year old improves because the higher ABV% instead of the normal choice of 40/ 43%? I liked the idea, but the outcome is not so good.
A little punchent smell full of citrus, what changes into a sweet and malty core. So squeezed lemon first, drop of oranges and after that some fresh baked bread, a little sugary pastry on the side and you've got yourself a sunday breakfast.
Bitter grapefruit with some anise. Unripe fruit, green apples. Cookie dough, still raw. Very young really. Very spicy, not not too pleasant. Dare I say peat? Not much actually.
Fades away quickly into a sour and bitter fruit with unbaked dough.
- Aroma: medium saturation, sweet, honeycomb, boiled condensed milk, fragrant dry herbs, slightly burnt wood. Further, sweet orange with zest, vanilla and pastry pastries, bran. Light smoke is well integrated and goes in the background to everything, a little sulfur and salt.
Taste: honey-citrus, red pepper, cinnamon, cloves, orange marmalade, toffee, burnt caramel, woody bitterness. Here the phenolism is brighter than in the aroma, smoked dried fruits.
Finish: spices, zest, charred wood, burnt caramel, goes into a bitter taste - a bitter medicinal tea, medium length.
Bottom line: very good, from memory, a reinforced version of the old 12-ki - honey, toffee, herbs, a little haze. Balanced HP, smoke does not stick out and does not take attention to itself, but goes in a complex of other tastes.
- This whisky is what you get when you press "upgrade" button on the standard 10yo. It's also essentially the same price as the standard version where I live in, so it's very good bang for your buck.
Significantly improved from the standard 10 year old, which I've found very thin on the nose in the recent bottlings. Still a typical HP though, citric, slight peat, a bit of custard.
The arrival is citric, with a hint of chocolate and smoke in the mix. Compared to the standard 10YO, again, significantly better. A bit of cream and sugary pasties.
Fairly short, but not bad. A bit sour, but balanced nontheless.
- Color: deep gold
Actually I was interested in what is behind the 90 points of the oracle from Alsace, but that was the 10 with 40% ... Quiet HP, with (ex-bourbon) wood was not stingy here, everything was hidden, otherwise you can't complain. 86 points.
A much juicier and more floral HP version, very nice. Malt, tree sap, linden and lilac flowers. Fragrant soot, ginger tea.
Malt and resin, otherwise rather lax, distant smoke, cold ash. Linden honey. Thuja hedge, more ginger tea, lime peel.
Medium. Vanilla, tree sap, dry wood. Candle soot sticks for a long time.
Highland Park Ambassador's Choice was chosen by Danish brand ambassador Martin Markvardsen. Originally released in Sweden, it has now been given a more general release. Aged for 10 years, in a combination of American oak bourbon barrels (70%) and oloroso sherry casks (30%), this is sweet with the smoke that the distillery is known for.
- In my personal opinion, this bottle is one of the best VFM you can find.
Very balance, and quality.
Fantastic nose: honey, citrus, vanilla, gentle typical H.P smoke.
Taste: same vanilla, honey, citrus, wood, very round.
Finish: medium, still citrus till the end.