- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Cask
- Stated Age
- 17 years old
- Pedro Ximénez Sherry Puncheon
- Number of bottles
- 53.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Bottled for
- Added on
- 29 Aug 2013 6:46 pm
23 × in wishlist
82 × member ratings
157 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 1996
10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 88.77 points
- A notch weker than its sister cask 1482 in terms of complexity and balance, the wb ratings correctly reflect that imho. PX might not be as elegant as Oloroso Dronach, but 17 years full maturation have done significantly more good to this malt than a mere clumsy wet cask finish could ever hope to accomplish. Very good stuff a fair retail price of about 80 EUR. This one as well as similar bottlings can be accounted the the kind of releases we dearly miss in 2021.
- Ahh, Glendronach (sort-of) single casks from the early 2010s. What a lovely concoction of big bold sherry, while still radiating age and pizzaz. Great bottling, that benefits greatly from air, yet not necessarily from water.
Stewed, overripe figs, raisins, and toffee fudge. Cured leather, with a slight acidic edge to it - while still exhibiting honey sweetness. Blueberry pancakes, balsamic cream, as well oak incense. With some air, there is incinerated saw dust and ground walnuts. So nice!
Sweet-tannic arrival. Good dose of oak spice, inducing eucalyptus and minor licorice notes. With water, the balsamic sort-or sour undertone is reemerging. It is not distracting though.
Medium-long. Warm, honeyed tannins linger for a bit.
- delicious GD profile, with a beautiful nose and medium long finish - less sherried than normal for GD, more bitter wood influence. feels like a tasty 2nd fill. i really liked it!
Blood oranges, baked apple, overripe pears. Vanilla beans. Berliners with powdered sugar. Behind bright grapes and fresh sawdust.
Creamy. Raspberries, strawberries, some nougat and fir honey. Cherries, dark chocolate with chili.
- Whiskyauction.com 09-2017 €175
- Tasting Notes:
intense sherry and exotic fruits, wood, caramel, toffee, somehow "dark", old damp forest and forest soil and leather (these three notes disappear, however)
spicy and slightly salted, lots of wood, dark fruits, some toffee, sherry, full-bodied, tingles something in the mouth at first
medium length, wood, slightly hot
- http://www.weinkenner.de/2014/vier-1996er-malts-von-glendronach-im-direkten-vergleich-31860/ Color: copper / rust red
Nose: sherry and orange marmalade with a soap-like vanilla touch, with dull notes of forest soil, humus, wet leaves and leather. The whole thing only slightly spicy with notes of olive oil and honey.
Taste: Quite thin, initially with spicy-salty balsamic ginger, then very sweet with sugared orange marmalade, then quickly tart and peppery. Powerful wood notes come to the fore.
Finish: Medium length - pepper-salt-wood, sweet honey aromas with flat fruity orange polish up the salty woody notes.
85 points (nose: 87 / taste: 86 / finish: 82)