- Single Malt
- The Whisky Agency (TWA)
- Bottling serie
- Stamps Serie
- Stated Age
- 15 years old
- Refill Butt
- Number of bottles
- 52.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 19 Aug 2013 8:27 pm
36 × in wishlist
176 × member ratings
217 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 1998 TWA
11 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.28 points
- 2323'90 Bomo's powerful oily piece of iron
- 22 22 22 22
- Nose: Beautiful combination of fine peat and dry sherry. Coffee, dark chocolate, bitter oranges. Some sulfur / organic notes (match heads, black mushrooms), but it remains light.
Palate: Powerful, but balanced. Peat is earthier than smoke or medicinal, with a lot of gentian and licorice. She marries sherry which brings bitter dark chocolate, tobacco. The tannins are present without excess. The texture is very fat, a whisky that we chew with pleasure.
Finish: Long, marked by notes of tobacco (raw cigar), and salty.
Less appreciated the second time.
- Bowmore 15 yo 1998/2013 (52.1%, The Whisky Agency, refill butt, 719 bottles) I know I should have tried this baby two years ago, I know. Colour: full gold. Nose: no gunpowder, little leather, no struck matches, rather a fresh clean, coastal Bowmoreness with bags of Seville oranges (I ‘stole’ some while in Seville a few weeks ago, and tasted them – gosh they were bitter) and indeed a little leather, coffee beans, bitter chocolate and then touches of black mustard. Old walnuts. Bone dry oloroso. With water: hay, tobacco, black tea. Mouth (neat): balance! I think we all forget that balance is the most important word in whisky. Granted, there are a few stone-y, leathery, leafy notes, but the cocoa and coffee work well, even if Bowmore + sherry might well be the trickiest combination ever. A matter of balance indeed, like with any peater from Islay. With water: chocolaty, tobacco-ish, leathery, dry. Finish: long, salty, chocolaty. Comments: probably not an easy one. The butt added some kind of leathery dryness.SGP:465 - 85 points.
Serge Valentin, Whiskyfun
- Deep gold color, sweet nose, slightly iodized and peaty, chocolate, orange, some undergrowth and tobacco. Mouth sweet, greedy, a little sweet, easy, moderately thick, chocolatey. Average length. A very easy whisky, a little too much maybe.
- Two words: Lovely Bowmore!
Hmm, lovely nose where the peatsmoke is clearly present. This is a sherry refill so there are whiffs of citrus, raisins, wood and leather. Not very complex but the combination with the peatsmoke is nice.
At first the peat is dominating then I get citrus again, like lemon candy, then it gets a bit sweeter and more herbal. That's the influence of the sherry. All very nice in balance. I really love this profile.
The finish is rather long where the peat is lingering together with the sweetness of the sherry.