- Single Malt
- The Whisky Agency (TWA)
- Bottling serie
- Stamps Serie
- Stated Age
- 15 years old
- Refill Butt
- Number of bottles
- 52.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 19 Aug 2013 8:07 pm
35 × in wishlist
164 × member ratings
204 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bowmore 1998 TWA
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.39 points
- 22 22 22 22
- Nose: Beautiful combination of fine peat and dry sherry. Coffee, dark chocolate, bitter oranges. Some sulfur / organic notes (match heads, black mushrooms), but it remains light.
Palate: Powerful, but balanced. Peat is earthier than smoke or medicinal, with a lot of gentian and licorice. She marries sherry which brings bitter dark chocolate, tobacco. The tannins are present without excess. The texture is very fat, a whisky that we chew with pleasure.
Finish: Long, marked by notes of tobacco (raw cigar), and salty.
Less appreciated the second time.
- Bowmore 15 yo 1998/2013 (52.1%, The Whisky Agency, refill butt, 719 bottles) I know I should have tried this baby two years ago, I know. Colour: full gold. Nose: no gunpowder, little leather, no struck matches, rather a fresh clean, coastal Bowmoreness with bags of Seville oranges (I ‘stole’ some while in Seville a few weeks ago, and tasted them – gosh they were bitter) and indeed a little leather, coffee beans, bitter chocolate and then touches of black mustard. Old walnuts. Bone dry oloroso. With water: hay, tobacco, black tea. Mouth (neat): balance! I think we all forget that balance is the most important word in whisky. Granted, there are a few stone-y, leathery, leafy notes, but the cocoa and coffee work well, even if Bowmore + sherry might well be the trickiest combination ever. A matter of balance indeed, like with any peater from Islay. With water: chocolaty, tobacco-ish, leathery, dry. Finish: long, salty, chocolaty. Comments: probably not an easy one. The butt added some kind of leathery dryness.SGP:465 - 85 points.
Serge Valentin, Whiskyfun
- Deep gold color, sweet nose, slightly iodized and peaty, chocolate, orange, some undergrowth and tobacco. Mouth sweet, greedy, a little sweet, easy, moderately thick, chocolatey. Average length. A very easy whisky, a little too much maybe.
- Two words: Lovely Bowmore!
Hmm, lovely nose where the peatsmoke is clearly present. This is a sherry refill so there are whiffs of citrus, raisins, wood and leather. Not very complex but the combination with the peatsmoke is nice.
At first the peat is dominating then I get citrus again, like lemon candy, then it gets a bit sweeter and more herbal. That's the influence of the sherry. All very nice in balance. I really love this profile.
The finish is rather long where the peat is lingering together with the sweetness of the sherry.
- Very good nose, dominated by a fine peat and acidulous fruits.
Mouth quite sweet, the sherry leg is present. Profile rather far from the standards Bowmore, the peat typical of the distillery is quite discreet. It is nevertheless very good, I have the impression of having a sweet syrup for cough in the mouth.
Final quite short, very sweet on cooked fruits.
A very good whisky, but which is away from the typical Bowmore profile.