- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Stated Age
- 12 years old
- Sherry Cask
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 1000 ml
- Added on
- 04 Nov 2008 4:34 pm
24 × in wishlist
596 × member ratings
1928 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bowmore Enigma
55 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 81.73 points
- Stunningly good and flavorful despite 40% abv when compared in a blind with the current 12 yo. I guess sometimes you just have to experience the decrease in quality to see how good "mediocre" malts of the past really were....
- The nose is terrific, after which it steadily falls off. Still tastes very good and is mega exciting through the nose.
Subtle and perfectly integrated smoke, sweetened strawberries, asphalt, citrus peel, pink grapefruit
Delicate start, creamy, fine smoke, citrus rasp, pleasant oak flavor, the strawberries come back with a bit of acidity, no dryness, the 40% is absolutely sufficient
Typical drinking strength - a little too short, the smoke remains ashy and oak-tinged, lemon peel
- Light cigarilio, heavy sherry, bittersweet. A soft, heavy whisky that is very drinkable.
- Compared to the normal 12er Enigma is a little less elegant, but sweeter, milder, a bit earthier. With 30-35 € / liter in his time had an unbeatable value for money and if you still get it somewhere today, I would find 60 € not over the top, so delicious it is always.
smoky-sweet, chocolate, earth, warm, moist hay, plus a light fresh breeze with salt and lemon
smoky, bittersweet grape nut chocolate with salt & pepper (mild), very tasty
medium to long, cocoa, salt, pepper, smoke remains quite a long time with a slight blackberry and licorice note
- Although the sherry share is slightly higher than the regular 12-year-old, it does not taste much better, even much worse. Indicates that a plethora of E150 has been dumped.
Too watery on the palate, leaves the impression as if it had matured in a sponge barrel. Bowmore got lost completely here. Fortunately I only bought it for 35.90 € in 2014.
Musty sherry, rancid smoke and sponge.
Extremely watery, sherry and smoke do not play together, wet wood and a hint of milk chocolate and ripeness.
- Whiskydream.de writes:
Bowmore 12 years Enigma In terms of color, the Enigma is a bit darker (according to distillery description "deep bronze") than the Bowmore 12 in the glass, which may be due to the higher sherry barrel portion.
The sherry is also the first controlling aroma in the nose. Connected with flowery-sweet notes (heather) and later added maritime (salty) flavors and some smoke a quite successful beginning of tasting. (84)
In the mouth, salty-sweet flavors continue, well integrated are some pepper and smoke. Furthermore malt, heather, hay. Overall, round and quite complex with medium sharpness (slightly less than Bowmore 12). (82)
The warming finish is of medium length in the throat, while in the mouth linger very long tingling oak and slight sweetness. (82)
Overall rating: 83 points More info: http://whiskydream-de.webnode.com/tastings-az/b/