93.72/100
5020613038738
23 Jul 2013 1:16 pm
Chillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Glen Grant 1952 GM

4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.72 points

1. Marko_I did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

Like the 1950s, this one feels a bit too thin, with a big "unfortunately", I have the feeling that it could be really delicious, there could still be something going on, but then suddenly the end, watered down in the mouth, leaving in A * s * h.
    And - unfortunately again - I had only a very small amount available. Unfortunately, there was not much experimentation with, I hope I do not do any harm to the whisky. --------------------------
    Conclusion after tasting the complete Glen Grant Collection series' 50s:

-------------------------
    For one-time tasting me enough 2cl actually plenty, for example, the chat FT I have almost always after about half an hour, when my notes are done, still a good sip in the glass, without somehow holding me back and to be frugal.
    So far, the 2cl have only been limited in difficult grip strengths, if something goes wrong during dilution.
    In this respect, I had little to no hesitation, in this case to cope with a smaller amount (about 1cl, in two a little less), full concentration, no gulp waste, dilute is not necessary.
    I take basically very small sips and keep the whisky quite a long time in my mouth, that I was too thin while tasting in the mouth, quasi taste "disappeared", but I have not experienced.
    Although I did not have such old whiskys before, but still quite a lot between 30 and 50, and my experience lets me guess, these Glen Grants were originally even stronger and are not insignificantly diluted, the alcohol content in the barrel would be just over 40% fell and you would have only insignificantly leveled to 40%, there would be more flavor, fatter, more wood, tannins ...
    As a comparison, the 1966 Ben Nevis WID: 66918 with only 29.5% - logically, less alcohol, softer, but the flavors (whether you like them or not) are fatter, thicker, richer than in the grents that disappears even with a tiny sip not after a short time in the mouth.

The flavor of the Grants are all 6 pretty great, interesting, an experience. However, if you also want to enjoy the taste and the finish, you should or must take your mouth fuller, otherwise the whisky is gone before you even had half of the enjoyment.
    Especially if you take larger sips anyway (and heavy stuff is used to), you should probably not start under 5cl in this case.

My order:
    1955> 1951/1953> 1954> 1950/1952
    (with the "straight" especially the "thinness" with taste and finish strikes)

Nevertheless, * if * I had 2000 € hobby budget a month, I would probably take half the annual budget, buy me a six-pack, tear it up and enjoy it with friends. Just because it works and is delicious and the numbers on the bottle but somehow fun.
    (In any case, rather than me-times to put the same bottles in the cellar. ;-))

(This tasting was probably my biggest challenge so far ... Careful, just do not miss a molecule, just do not waste a drop ... horror and fun and you get old like a cow and still learn.)
      Coconut, banana chips, wax, a touch of furniture polish ... here's another eucalyptus sweet on a half nostril, some kids' liquorice, and yes, this white / colorful stuff, which is part of the Haribo licorice confection
    • Taste
      Milk chocolate, Nutella, green tea, earth ... something fruity ... I have a picture of red Glibber in my head, maybe even licorice
      unfortunately (like the 1950s) too thin for real exploration, watered down in the mouth way too fast, as would taste much more
      medium length, lime skin, some oak - but only if you swallow it (way too fast), otherwise negligible

2. markjedi1 scored this whisky 90 points Connoisseur

The best these two types of casks have to offer, I’d say. Around 2.400 EUR. Several years ago, this was awarded by Jim Murray… one of the few times that Jim and I agree. You would be forgiven for calling this Glen Grant… Glen Grand!
      It is surprisingly fresh and bright with light sherry notes in the guise of sultanas and Reine Claude plums on the one hand, but also some fresh coconut and white fruit on the other. It has some resin, which works perfectly. Freshly polished hardwood floor, some thyme and freshly cut grass. Add some overripe banana and you have a nose that nears perfection.
    • Taste
      I would not have minded a bit more body. It’s a bit light. But taste wise, this is a solid malt. A handful of nuts, butterscotch and something that reminds me of the better Cognac. Some earthy notes and woodsmoke give it that old school touch that I have learned to appreciate in older Glen Grant.
      The finish is medium long with hints of white fruit, vanilla and allspice.

3. LancsScotch scored this whisky 93 points Member Senior

Tasted at TWS 2015

Nose: Exotic fruits, pears, pineapple, fig rolls, warm pastry and Luxardo cherries.

Palate: Fig rolls again! Leather, apple sauce, vanilla extract, cherry pie and custard.

Finish: Cinnamon, a touch of woodsmoke, and sherbet lemons.

4. Titi94 did not rate this whisky Connoisseur

Tasting Notes (by SCOMA) :

Aroma: Sherry cask with hint of floral notes.

Taste: Smoky with rich fruit and spice notes.

Finish: Strong sherry aromas.