- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Single Cask - Batch 8
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- Oloroso Sherry Butt
- Number of bottles
- 52.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 07 Jul 2013 5:55 pm
44 × in wishlist
128 × member ratings
202 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glendronach 1993
11 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 90.42 points
- Batch 8 contains the following bottles:
1971 cask 1246
1990 cask 2971
1991 cask 5409
1992 cask 145
1993 cask 3
1994 cask 101
1996 cask 1490
2002 cask 1988
- GlenDronach, 15.01.1993-05.2013, OL Sherry SC 3, Batch 8, 52.9% Color: reddish brown Nose: dark chocolate, some orange, wet park bench, hint of ham ... with water: fresher and fruity, oranges, caramel Body: oily Mouth: Dark chocolate, coffee beans, tobacco, ginger ... with water: smoother, caramel, oranges Finish: medium-long, mild, first dark chocolate notes, then bitter notes of wood Conclusion: 87.5P / 90P (without / with water) complex, becomes more elegant with water.
- Keep getting better with aeration. After testing in various glasses, the ideal glass for this one is definitely Schott Zwiesel's no ice whisky.
Immediately bewitching. Complex and charming. The old wood oloroso cask, with its range of coffee, cocoa, cepes, walnuts, chalk. At the inspiration, a fruity frame with blood orange as the guiding thread. Effluves of rose, white flowers, white pepper, clove. Flushes of aromatic herbs. In the bustle, the floral side is beautiful and taking. Caramel too, dates, something oriental (pastries dripping with honey and caramelized almonds).
Fat, unctuous, lining. Beeswax as a showcase with fruity depth. Coffee, nuts, praline. A little salt and spices. Superb touch of mouth and beautiful architecture. Fondant.
Dark chocolate, Espelette pepper, walnut and coffee liqueurs, all coated with beeswax.
- Glendronach 20 yo 1993/2013 (52.9%, OB, batch 8, oloroso sherry butt, cask #3, 633 bottles)
Colour: full amber. Nose: very different again, this is shier but also
seemingly more complex, maybe more elegant… So less ‘wham-bam’, with
more flowers (orange blossom, lime tree), then rocks, earth, this
feeling of old wine cellar again, a few walnuts, touches of balsamico,
fresh almond and… gewürztraminer. I mean roses and litchis, but only wee
touches. So heavy sherry can remain complex and elegant! A little bacon
too (that’s less elegant, I agree). With water: an old cabinet of
Partagas Lusitania. I smoke very rarely these days but these stunning
aromas remain very vivid in my mind. Mouth (neat): it’s desert! Many
honeys and many liqueurs, with a perfect combination of oranges,
caraway, orange blossom honey, Virginia tobacco, candied ginger and a
fistful of juicy sultanas to round this off. With water: absolute
perfection. Love the dryness. Finish: very long, it’s like a grande
finale. Love the bitterness, no aftertaste should be sweet in my
opinion. Comments: I almost went for 93 points. This one might well be
the best recent 20 years old I could taste. Very, very impressive. So,
old Lusitanias, I remember very well when we first… But you don’t care,
do you? SGP:462 - 92 points.whiskyfun.com
- An amazing 20 year old whisky from Glendronach`s 8th Batch of single casks. Distilled in 1993 and aged until May 2013 in a single oloroso butt. Dark, rich and decadent.
- And it then sold out within minutes! The wonderful world of the internet.