82.21/100
WB42079
Strength
22 May 2013 5:57 pm

Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 12-year-old

24 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 82.21 points

1. WhiskeyWankstain scored this whisky 95 points Newbie

As if a cherry-eating, caramelized and smoked angel pees on your tongue.

2. pacobancken scored this whisky 84 points Newbie

3. WLGOAGN scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

4. GadflyDrinker scored this whisky 82 points Member Senior

As far as12 year old OBs go, this is one of the best. Fruity, vanilla cream, sweet, sea salt. A very complex, balanced whisky as far as 12 year olds go!

5. Lu Cifer scored this whisky 84 points Connoisseur

6. mjke scored this whisky 85 points Newbie

Sweet, warm, rich, pleasant. Substantial sherry on the nose, full-bodied and impactful on the palate, slight bite on the finish. One of the best 12 yo OB.

7. VanOpek scored this whisky 79 points Expert Junior

fruit sweetness, dried fruits, hints of honey and flowers, woody and creamy vanilla, almond/marzipan
    • Taste
      slightly sweet with hints of salt, white pepper, fruits, oily and warm, dried plum, car oils, woody, rounded
      warm and calm, well balanced, simple and short, dry, floral, woody

8. mrmalty scored this whisky 89 points Member Senior

Sweet upfront, caramel and honey. Substantial feeling with the higher alcohol content, raisins too. Great lingering spicy finish. Lots going on and I love it!

9. Auriverdes scored this whisky 82 points Expert Senior

10. thebonewolf scored this whisky 73 points Expert Senior

Whatever it was in the nose that I didn’t care for, it was hard to focus on anything else. I was worried it would translate into the taste but it was a complete turnaround for me once it crossed my lips. I recorded this review a dozen or so small glasses into the bottle I have, and it is not a go to, but I did find myself enjoying it ever so slightly more each pour.
      Some kind of nut, or nutty malt. Something I can’t place but I don’t like, kind of like bad molasses or butterscotch I don’t necessarily want to eat. Sweet, maybe it’s more sherry than I like? There’s a smokiness if you go slowly and can find it. The nose does not have me looking forward to drinking it.
    • Taste
      Water certainly wakes it up if you add it. Better than the nose, while I’m not in love with it, my concerns from the nose melt away quickly. It tastes like a somewhat harsh butter made from whatever nuttiness is in the nose. I think the unappealing part is the sherry, it tastes like caramel that is off, and I suspect I need a good amount of peat to enjoy the sweet sherry influence, or sweetness in general. I was able to find a subtle note of rosewater when mentioned - I was drinking this and Ralfy mentioned it - but not if it wasn’t on my radar from that.
      Middling, reminds me of bourbon, perhaps a bit toward maple.