9 × in wishlist
43 × member ratings
77 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Caol Ila 1999 GM
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 85.80 points
- Ashes quite marked but with a lot of depth - thank you sherry. Fruity pulling towards citrus fruits. A peppery note. The aromas are smooth as and when. Spicy attack in the mouth. Fullness. Very soft texture in the middle and end of the mouth. Not ultra complex. Peppery finish rather easy.
- Too sharp & too much alcoholy for me - very unpleasant.
- Very dynamic profile, interesting.
A much more herbal peaty note than the distillery bottlings. Slate. Gooseberries. Meat in rich gravy. Subtle woodspice. Sherry funk. Macadamias.
Dirt. Dusty books. Sherry funk. Wet stone. Salt. Some juicy dark fruits. Teriyaki beef jerky. Charcoal and match heads on the swallow.
Long. Red fruits. Tannins. Woodspice.
- Caol Ila 1999 GM (Gordon and MacPhail)
Tasted 2014-12-05 @ me with Tobi:
Nosing: slightly uncomfortable medical despite the flowery-smoky complexity.
Tasting: Fruity aftertaste in the taste, with a strong alcohol note with warm smoke on the front tongue
- At the price displayed a great value for money and especially fun for those who like peat and light sherry.
Peat, citrus fruits and stewed fruit. The aging in sherry casks is felt with all its intoxicating odors.
Light peat notes accompanied by fruity notes of candied pears and citrus while a subtle touch of peppermint and coriander brings freshness.
The mouth becomes creamier while the peat is now reminiscent of cold tobacco.