22 × in wishlist
75 × member ratings
59 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Banff 1975 MoS
7 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.29 points
- Highly complex, but still (dangerously) drinkable. I found it fantastic and it is a pity that Banff closed down. If you have the chance, you should try it, because this is something special! Full review (in German): https://keinehalbendrinks.de/2020/01/06/weihnachtstasting-im-turm/
- Nose: waxy berries, wood glue, light wood spices
Palate: polished oak, tropical fruits
Finish: short but continues the palate to a satisfying end
- Great nose: it's amazing what tropical fruits there are. Might smell forever.
Unfortunately, there is not enough strength and complexity in the mouth.
- This Whisky was sold for 357,-€ at Whiskyauction 11/2015
- This Whisky was sold for 385,-€ and for 405,-€ at Whiskyauction 10/2015
- Banff 1975/2013 (42.9%, Malts of Scotland, bourbon barrel, cask #MoS 13023, 201 bottles) MoS already had a rather superb 1975 last year (WF 90). Colour: white wine, so very pale for a 37/38yo malt. Nose: hell, yes! Which distillery was the queen of fruit+mustard? That's right, Banff. Granted, this is sweet mustard (maybe blueberry flavoured?) and the fruits are all sour, in a way, but that is superb in the very context. Chinese plum sauce for Peking duck? Other than that, we have herbal teas (lime blossom, orange blossom) and apples, tinned pineapples and quite some white chocolate. Spectacularly different so far. Mouth: for just a fraction of a second, I had thought the oak had taken over, but then the fruits kicked in, together with an unexpected saltiness (coz yeah, there's no salt in whisky, only a saltiness). Fantastic passion fruits, bananas, raspberries, oranges, peaches... The oak's spices remain delicate and pleasantly cinnamony, I'd say. Very good body at barely 43% vol. Finish: okay, the oak got a little louder in the finish, but it's still of the cinnamony kind, not too drying. And, above, all, it's still wonderfully fruity. Comments: old glories never die (try harder next time, S.) I could have gone one or two points higher with just a little less oak in the finish/aftertaste. SGP:651 - 90 points.