91.44/100
1986
Sherry Wood Matured
Strength
Label
white label with violet letters
21 Mar 2013 6:06 pm
UncoloredChillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Millburn 1966 Ses

5 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.44 points

1. lincolnimp scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

A whisky like this from a glorious old distillery really does blow out the water the argument that cask strength is better, although I would love to taste this at 50-55%.
    The balance is perfect, there is nothing out of place, an example of perfection from the best of the 3 closed Inverness distilleries.
    If you see a bottle of this my advice is buy it , even if you have to go into debt and starve for it.
    Awesome and beautifull and the 40% strength really underlines the fact that a perfect cask is good at any strength
      Slightly distant but its nice for sure and the first think I detect is blueberry which if I find in sherried whisky is always a good sign for me. Lots of dried fruits in the mix, and fruit cake, juicy currants and raisins, a very faint glue note but thankfully I do not think it detracts and then another wave of fruits, dark fruit gums basically, very nice.
    • Taste
      Oh yes, this is good, there is a nice dose of spice, I also detect some peat, the dark fruit gum taste is definitely here and yes blueberry and bilberry, great stuff.
      The spice note seems to grow , as does the peat but the fruit is between them adding great balance.
      Some cake mix enters the fray, burnt orange and just a hint of wood.
      Excellent, I think I am love again, this has given me my whisky mojo back.
      Good medium length, remaining spicy, slightly peaty and very fruity ( dark fruits)

2. lincolnimp scored this whisky 93 points Connoisseur

I have been drinking very little whisky of late, I had just gone off it a little but this H2H has rekindled my interest a trio of superb whiskies, all averaging 93 points so a deah heat.
    All were excellent, one of the best H2H I have had for a long time
    If I am honest I think I preferred the Millburn & Glenugie over the Glendronach and almost scored the Dronach one point lower but I felt that was a little unfair.
    Its a dead heat 3 great whiskies, I am very happy :)

Tasted in this order:-

3. Baanaanaabob scored this whisky 92 points Connoisseur

Beautiful sherry a bit of a sherry bomb but still very balanced, excellent

4. dram-drinker scored this whisky 94 points Moderator

5. dram-drinker scored this whisky 94 points Moderator

Heavy deep sherry wood with the right level of sweetness - this is old school. In general this one is more balanced and richer than the 16yo GM bottlings from 1966.
      Sweet, fruity, honey comb, sherry oak, dark fruits, plums, prunes, toffee, old books, like it should be - great!
    • Taste
      Punchy, oily, creamy, liquorice, nice balance of sherry wood and subtle sweetness, toffee, coffee, milk chocolate, plums, prunes etc. again, brown sugar, hints of smoke and leather - very good!
      Medium long, the toffee is still lingering in the mouth