Talisker Port Ruighe

L3093CM000
09 Mar 2013 7:54 pm
ColoredChillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Talisker Port Ruighe

164 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.48 points

1. EinSpatzUnterVielen scored this whisky 77 points Expert Senior

In intensity of departure, although clearly superior to the Tomatin 14, but not really my thing. The sour wine notes and the smoke do not go well together, I think. Out of round, patched port notes, too bitter; the DE is miles better. I wish the finish would be shorter ... it gets more and more disgusting. Not my cup of painting.
      Smoke, wine, gummy, sour, cherries, freshly toasted bread, cranberries, menthol, salt, nose stings
    • Taste
      oily, slightly spicy, orange, lemon, vanilla, ginger, pepper, smoke, cherries, cranberries, coffee, leather
      long, smoky, earthy-dirty, sweetish, sourish, slightly musty, orange, pepper, very strong mocha, leather, menthol, salt, burnt toast, licorice, tar

[July, 2013]  Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 38 Euro in May, 2013.

[August, 2014]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 41,50 Euro in October, 2013.

[November, 2014]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 40,50 Euro in July, 2014.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 87,5 all times.  My notes state the port finish is a great combo with the peaty Talisker profile...

3. Gloin scored this whisky 81 points Expert Senior

All in all, I like the Port Ruighe quite well, but there are clear points deductions for the finish and I think I also notice the lack of maturity. It tastes good to me, enjoyment sets in, but without enthusiasm. Tasted in 2013
      In the nose, I notice a soft smoke, but my brain quickly fades out. Behind it, I find a sweet, floral-fruity smell, almost like a sinful, a bit obscene woman's perfume. Somewhat hidden I find again the anise, which I rediscover in almost every Talisker and a slight reminder of the sea. But maybe that's just my imagination, because I know what I have in my glass.
    • Taste
      The taste shows me two very different impressions, on the one hand my tongue is greeted by a clear sparkling sharpness and I'm pretty sure it's not the alcohol. On the other side, the smell is confirmed with a flowery sweetness. I have associations of whole milk chocolate with chilli and candied rose petals.
      The finish disappoints me. A short sweetness is still there, but in the end there is only an unpleasant bitterness that I did not have in my mouth.

4. Astrid scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

Recognizable a Talisker, with the typical flavors and sharpness (which does not come from the alcohol). Partly not unlike the 10, dense in the nose but no real depth, rather thin in the mouth. The port does not seem intrusive, but rather well integrated, but without giving the young malt the appearance of maturity. Somehow tasty, but you don't miss a thing.

Edit: After a few weeks in the open bottle, it becomes nice and waxy and velvety spicy, with a banana and pear on the nose, unfortunately with sulfur in the finish.
      very fine and sweet smoke and ash, vanilla, the red fruits of the port, greasy and fat with some smoked ham, oily and peppery with hints of caramel and barley malt, cassis and strawberry, raisins, orange, leather, soot, cherry, maritime notes with salt and iodine, cocoa, plum jam, green bell pepper, marzipan and traces of cinnamon, honey
    • Taste
      a dollop of honey, caramel and ash, smoked barley malt, then it gets hot with chilli, ginger and pepper, oak wood, slightly fruity and sweet, raisins, soot and cocoa powder, leather, oranges, cherries, espresso, tingling spices of clove and cinnamon, Vanilla, plum
      Ash and smoked barley malt, strong and earthy cocoa powder, light sweetness of port and dark fruits, in between clear bitterness, some oak and spices, pepper, caramel, vanilla, leather, hints of salt and oil, soot, drying out, subtle honey

5. Jabarkas scored this whisky 70 points Member Senior

Unsurprisingly not as good as Talisker 10. Port Ruighe has less peat than Talisker 10. If you seek a strong combination of peat and sherry (well Port...), you are going to be disappointed here by both. It is like a wilder yet watered down version of Talisker 10 with some medium level sherry notes. I do not recommend buying whole bottle. Get a glass somewhere and it should be enough for a new experience.

All in all Talisker 10 shines next to it. It feels like a more complex older whisky. Which it is (Port Ruighe ages for 7 to 8 years), so no problems there. And it is cheaper as well. Or go for Benromach 10 if you look for that sherry and peat in this price range. Still a much better choice.
      Sherry, a bit of peat.
    • Taste
      Bitter taste first, very little peat. Some sweetness and dark fruits afterwards.
      Some more sherry and again a bit of peat.

6. EvilAFI scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Bah I want to like this more, it’s just ok. The sweetness and peat somehow seam to clash instead of mingle. It’s not bad, just not good.
      Sweet and lightly acrid smoke, the sweetness does have a red wine vinegar, red berry hint, tomatoe juice
    • Taste
      Fruity, then peat smoke, white pepper, a touch thin
      Short, warm, peat and a light sweetness, a doughy bread note emerges

7. dRambo scored this whisky 74 points Connoisseur

I do not have much to do with whisky anymore.

8. LDB scored this whisky 78 points Connoisseur

(Notes from a blind tasting)
    Unfortunately, I find it a bit meaningless,
    a rather weak and too young or immature whisky.
      Right at the beginning a clear smoky nose, at the same time aromatic and slightly metallic, but also reminiscent of ripe berries.
    • Taste
      Sweet, a little tingly, smooth, then clearly peppery.
      The pepper portion in the mouth suggests a talisker.
      Peat flavors become a bit bitter in the finish, which leads relatively quickly into a general smoky note.

9. MarcinCh scored this whisky 84 points Expert Junior

Feel the influence of the port barrels. Lots of dark fruit.
    • Taste
      Salt. Sweet peat. Spices. Pepper. Dark fruit. Sea.
      Dark fruit. Salt. Sea. Salty caramel.

10. Fudschafudscha scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

a bargain for the money. Just get one or two, or 10 bottles of it. Will be still good in 1000 years then ;)