83.49/100
L3093CM000
09 Mar 2013 7:54 pm
ColoredChillfiltered

Whisky Reviews for Talisker Port Ruighe

154 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.49 points

1. EinSpatzUnterVielen scored this whisky 77 points Expert Senior

In intensity of departure, although clearly superior to the Tomatin 14, but not really my thing. The sour wine notes and the smoke do not go well together, I think. Out of round, patched port notes, too bitter; the DE is miles better. I wish the finish would be shorter ... it gets more and more disgusting. Not my cup of painting.
      Smoke, wine, gummy, sour, cherries, freshly toasted bread, cranberries, menthol, salt, nose stings
    • Taste
      oily, slightly spicy, orange, lemon, vanilla, ginger, pepper, smoke, cherries, cranberries, coffee, leather
      long, smoky, earthy-dirty, sweetish, sourish, slightly musty, orange, pepper, very strong mocha, leather, menthol, salt, burnt toast, licorice, tar

[July, 2013]  Together with friends I emptied a bottle that I bought for 38 Euro in May, 2013.

[August, 2014]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 41,50 Euro in October, 2013.

[November, 2014]  Together with friends I emptied another bottle that I bought for 40,50 Euro in July, 2014.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 87,5 all times.  My notes state the port finish is a great combo with the peaty Talisker profile...

3. Gloin scored this whisky 81 points Expert Senior

All in all, I like the Port Ruighe quite well, but there are clear points deductions for the finish and I think I also notice the lack of maturity. It tastes good to me, enjoyment sets in, but without enthusiasm. Tasted in 2013
      In the nose, I notice a soft smoke, but my brain quickly fades out. Behind it, I find a sweet, floral-fruity smell, almost like a sinful, a bit obscene woman's perfume. Somewhat hidden I find again the anise, which I rediscover in almost every Talisker and a slight reminder of the sea. But maybe that's just my imagination, because I know what I have in my glass.
    • Taste
      The taste shows me two very different impressions, on the one hand my tongue is greeted by a clear sparkling sharpness and I'm pretty sure it's not the alcohol. On the other side, the smell is confirmed with a flowery sweetness. I have associations of whole milk chocolate with chilli and candied rose petals.
      The finish disappoints me. A short sweetness is still there, but in the end there is only an unpleasant bitterness that I did not have in my mouth.

4. Astrid scored this whisky 83 points Connoisseur

Recognizable a Talisker, with the typical flavors and sharpness (which does not come from the alcohol). Partly not unlike the 10, dense in the nose but no real depth, rather thin in the mouth. The port does not seem intrusive, but rather well integrated, but without giving the young malt the appearance of maturity. Somehow tasty, but you don't miss anything.
      very fine and sweet smoke and ash, vanilla, the red fruits of the port, greasy and fat with some smoked ham, oily and peppery with hints of caramel and barley malt, cassis and strawberry, raisins, orange, leather, soot, cherry, maritime notes with salt and iodine, cocoa, plum jam, green bell pepper, marzipan and traces of cinnamon, honey
    • Taste
      a dollop of honey, caramel and ash, smoked barley malt, then it gets hot with chilli, ginger and pepper, oak wood, slightly fruity and sweet, raisins, soot and cocoa powder, leather, oranges, cherries, espresso, tingling spices of clove and cinnamon, Vanilla, plum
      Ash and smoked barley malt, strong and earthy cocoa powder, light sweetness of port and dark fruits, in between clear bitterness, some oak and spices, pepper, caramel, vanilla, leather, hints of salt and oil, soot, drying out, subtle honey

5. dRambo scored this whisky 74 points Connoisseur

I do not have much to do with whisky anymore.

6. MLE scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

7. EvilAFI scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Bah I want to like this more, it’s just ok. The sweetness and peat somehow seam to clash instead of mingle. It’s not bad, just not good.
      Sweet and lightly acrid smoke, the sweetness does have a red wine vinegar, red berry hint, tomatoe juice
    • Taste
      Fruity, then peat smoke, white pepper, a touch thin
      Short, warm, peat and a light sweetness, a doughy bread note emerges

8. gaboruso scored this whisky 84 points Expert Senior

9. claymore84 scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

Blind tasted on 04-24-2021.

10. riegerjonas scored this whisky 83 points Expert Senior

2021-03-24
      soft, gummy bears, acidity, gentle oak, pleasant vanilla, nice sweetness, typical port notes
    • Taste
      slightly weak start (after the 57 North), minimal vanilla
      typical port, some oak, light acidity and light sweetness