- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Rare & Prestige
- Stated Age
- 40 years old
- American Oak & Gonzalez Byass Sherry Casks
- Number of bottles
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- Added on
- 08 Sep 2007 9:48 pm
18 × in wishlist
61 × member ratings
29 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Dalmore 40-year-old
8 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 94.14 points
- Orange Orange Orange
The color is light caramel, and the nose is orange peel, raisins, dates, and a touch of brown sugar. The taste starts off with a cinnamon kick that fades to a lingering sweetness with a hint of brandy, along with mango and other tropical fruits. The finish is long, smooth and complex with a Chardonnay-like sweetness…the orange peel returns with slight hints of almonds.
- Nose: Paint and latex and all those sexy as hell mature cask notes. Juicy concorde grape. Rich woody notes and some tight rings of smoke. Pepper. Tangerine, pineapple, papaya and deep threads of black current. These latter tie in with eucalyptus to remind me of black currant Halls cough drops. Chocolate. More fruity notes in rivers of dark caramel. Quirky, odd and great.
Palate: Smoke, old wood and latex. Leathery and drying. Orange emerges with some tobacco. Again…some black currant notes.
- Just staggering... this is a truly complex,
Sublime balance and clarity. Winter spice, ginger, cocoa dryness, slightly
herbal. Toasted malt loaf buttered and topped with a liberal helping of Seville
marmalade. Oily nuts, banana grilled with Demerara sugar and hazelnut spread.
Hint of smoke.
Sherried sultana, wood tannins rise to provide
balance and oomph. Thick toffee and zesty ripe orange and marmalade bubbling in
A little short, chocolate, syrupy, orange.
- This is the truly staggering Dalmore 40 year old -
a superb Highland malt aged in three different types of cask: American white
oak, Matusalem Oloroso Sherry and Amoroso Sherry casks. This was specially
crafted by the legendary master blender Richard Paterson, and it comes in a
smart leather case.
- DistillersTasting Notes
Orange, toffee, almonds.
Deep mahogany in colour with orange marmalade and Christmas pudding on the nose.
Bold flavours of brittle toffee and bitter chocolate are followed closely with spiced orange and crushed almonds. Long and complex aftertaste.
- Gold Medal International Whisky Competition 2010
Rated 98/100 Beverage Testing Institute 2009
Double Gold Medal San Francisco World Spirits Competition 2009
- A triple-wood from the Dalmore distillery, an awesome 40-year-old,
matured in American white oak, Matusalem Oloroso sherry and Amoroso
sherry casks. A very rare Highland bottling and a great testament to the
blending skill of Richard Paterson.