- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Ex-Bourbon Barrels
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 05 Feb 2013 9:48 am
8 × in wishlist
156 × member ratings
236 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Kavalan ex-Bourbon Oak
33 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 83.44 points
- Pretty good dram. 50ml mini at 46%. Bottled 2018. Ropes, cowhide, and sawdust. Hints of fruits (bananas, pineapples, mandarins, and lemons. Minty vanilla. Some metallic edges. Not a very balanced dram, but the beginning of something nice. Tbh, this is almost like a youngish Yoichi. Quality stuff.
- On the nose fruity notes (not apples, not citrus, maybe mango?), marzipan, hint of vanilla. The smell is very strong. after sipping it for quite some time there's also caramel, earl grey, or generally speaking tea. Moderately sweet in taste, leaves a bitter fruity cocoa mark.
Honey, cereals, fresh red apple, peach, popcorn, vanilla
Apple, honey, grain, lime, apple peel, some nut,
- See nice whisky with good PLV. Something for fans of rather strong, rich whiskys.
At first a little aniseed, dark berries, cinnamon and lots of fruit, Bourbon aroma is very beautiful, vanilla and dark chocolate, great in the nose
Strong, stone fruit at the beginning, then goes over quickly in strong spicy, a trace of cocoa is audible
Long, now comes through the sweetness promised by the nose, light pepperiness, oak comes to the end always stronger and stays in the mouth for a long time
- Solid, slightly one-dimensional whisky. Very barrel-heavy, for his 46% very intense. Average ex-bourbon.
Reminiscent of a bourbon, lots of vanilla and lots of sweetness. Touch of fresh fruits.
Quite dry, intensive start despite "only" 46%. Something oak, while subtly sweet. Overall, one-dimensional.
Short and dry, slightly tingling. Oak becomes a bit more dominant, the sweetness disappears.
- good! surely not everybody´s taste but from time to time I could enjoy it.
immediately after the king car conductor:
rather similar in its fruitiness. basket of tropical fruits. perhaps a bit more vanilla and a bit more oak which makes it a bit deeper. very fresh and mouthwatering. I also like this one.
perhaps the mouthfeel is a bit creamier than the conductor´s and it´s a bit more complex. the fruitiness is a bit more integrated. the bourbon cask influence is a bit more evident.
medium to long