91.25/100
11.2000
Strength
17 Nov 2012 11:49 am

Whisky Reviews for Macallan 1980 McC

2 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.25 points

1. Waykid scored this whisky 85 points Expert Senior

A quite lame performance, not bad but very light and ineffectual. The structure reminds a bit some triple-distilled Irish. Must agree with Thermidor with the rating, I also would guess it's a bourbon-cask.
      Light, flowery and boozy even with water. Nothing  very distinctive, Hubba-bubba-bubblegum.
    • Taste
       Honeyed, sweet with a round peachiness, a bit  pansies. Some savoury notes, salmiak and Läkerol-lozenges.Nothing off-puttting, just very mild and a bit boozy.
      Short, mild salmiak and dried apricot.

2. Thermidor scored this whisky 86 points Expert Senior

I've only tried this one at a bar but it was a far cry from the over 90 average indicated here. I couldn't find any sherry markers so it could've come from an ex-bourbon cask which is maybe not the best side of Macallan. Of course I have no idea how long the bottle had been open, but in the state I found it, it paled in comparison to Glendronach '72 cask 710 which I tried just before it and rated 93. I've been more impressed by the Macallan OB 10yo cask strength than I was by this particular whisky.

Now that I look at the scores again and combine this with the fact that one of these 'eduardo' accounts is selling this bottle in the marketplace I'm starting to understand why the average score is so absurdly high compared to my own experience. Purposefully overrating bottles just for selling purposes is a crappy habit, mister.