- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Scotch Malt Whisky Society (SMWS)
- Bottling serie
- Like a hug from your mum
- Stated Age
- 40 years old
- Refill Ex-Bourbon Hogshead
- Number of bottles
- 47.1 % Vol.
- 700 ml 750 ml
- Added on
- 15 Nov 2012 1:38 pm
10 × in wishlist
14 × member ratings
8 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glen Moray 1971 SMWS 35.71
4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 91.36 points
- Like a hug from my grandmother :)
- Tried this at the Whisky Live show in London some years ago and I can truthfully say I've not tasted anything to beat it yet. The description "like a hug from your Mum" couldn't be more apt - there are notes of old Chanel perfume, cream puff, handbags, and just a hint of violets. Very little water required, if any. Just beautiful.
- Nice example of Glen Moray.
- SMWS Tasting Notes
Colour: Evening sun glow
Flavour: Old & dignified
The nose gave us happy, homey feelings – ‘like a hug from my
mum’ said the Malt-meister; mellifluous sweetness of maple syrup, marzipan and
heather honey – but also marmalade on toast, jaffa cakes, leather and polished
wood. The palate impressed with its chewy textures, aniseed, tobacco and
coconut depth – plus its minty fresh liveliness, like mint choc-chip ice-cream.
The reduced nose suggested a wooden box containing rolling tobacco, Coco Pops,
After Eight mints and menthol cigarettes. The reduced palate – light leather,
tobacco, Arm and Hammer toothpaste and orange zest. A time-stopping dram from
the Elgin distillery that was once a brewery.
Drinking Tip: An after dinner or late evening dram - but go
easy on the water