- Single Malt
- Sestante (Ses)
- Bottling serie
- Antica Casa Marchesi Spinola
- Stated Age
- 21 years old
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 750 ml
- Added on
- 14 Sep 2008 1:55 am
8 × in wishlist
41 × member ratings
32 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Tomatin 1968 Ses
4 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 87.71 points
- The nose is ok ish though I thought a bit oxidised but the palate is a bit cardboard mineral on the verge of soapy, this series is really hit and miss.
- Tasting note by Serge Valentin
Tomatin 21 yo 1968/1990 (40%, Sestante, Antica Casa Marchesi Spinola #1) Colour: pale gold. Nose: a typical fruitiness at first sniff (bananas) but also something quite bizarrely milky and buttery. Gets then very herbal (chives) and a little minty. Hints of iron (OBE developing), aniseed and mint. A little shy in fact, getting a little papery and still quite minty. Waning quite quickly, alas. Mouth: too bad, the papery and cardboardy notes do really dominate the whole now. A little weak, dry, strangely vegetal (over-infused tea), with also something like capers or gherkins… Not very enjoyable I must say. Quite some salt at that, mint, camphor (but an odd one)… The finish is even weirder, quite long but rather bitter… Raw turnips? And always this cardboardiness. 72 points (for the nose).
- [November, 2008] Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 160 that I bought for 90 Euro in August, 2004.
[September, 2009] Together with friends I emptied bottle no. 684 that I bought for 100 Euro in September, 2004.
In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 90 and 87,5. My notes state a delicious and very quaffable old style sherry dram. As Serge rated this very low (72 points) I tried to comprehend his tasting notes but failed on both bottles. Maybe he got a spoiled sample?
- Pours stras gold. Nose has sweet red berries, bees wax, light salt and peat. An interesting "artificial strawberry candy" really starts to shine. Mouth is more peat focuses with a good evolving smoke. Brine, bitter on the finish. Again more red fruits and sherry-like elements than I would expect given the light color. Pretty good, though kinda light in body, and the sweet weird strawberry candy kind of clashes with the bitter finish.