- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- The Distillers Edition
- Double Matured in Montilla Cask
- 43.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml 1000 ml
- Bottle code
- OD 161.FY
- Added on
- 24 Oct 2012 6:44 pm
9 × in wishlist
59 × member ratings
124 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Oban 1997
10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 84.14 points
- Nose: rather delicate, quite fresh, on the pear from a distance, then other fruits when approaching. It's sweet, it's flowery (a bit like a rye), granary. In the mouth, fruits, cereals again. Sweet spices but biting. Discreet woody note. Combine sweetness and presence. Sweet final too, not very intense, but rather long, with a slightly bitter and grassy aftertaste but inevitably very pleasant. The overall impression is very good! Thanks to Vincent (Du Malt Au Palais)!
- Nice fruity whisky. The finish does the oban well, making the DE a lot more interesting / better than the standard edition. Still not a very complex whisky, of course, but nice to drink.
Restrained. Rosé wine, old cellar, fog, damp soil.
Interesting profile. Fruity, spicy, dry. Orange with ginger. Nutty bitterness.
- The montilla cask adds some interesting flavours to a really good basic whisky.
- Blind tasting of a sample.
For its low ABV I find this whisky really corrosive in the mouth.
Malt sugar, pear, honey, lime, orange, caramel and straw.
An unexpected amount of spice upfront: White pepper and clove. Then caramel,
vanilla, malt, orange and a little chocolate. Getting creamier after a few
minutes to better balance the spice.
Caramel, spice and a whiff of smoke.