29.48/100
15 Oct 2012 10:10 pm
Uncolored

one in wishlist

Whisky Reviews for Ole Smoky Tennessee Moonshine

10 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 29.48 points

1. Ila-Maus scored this whisky 22 points Expert Senior

2. Dre73 scored this whisky 25 points Connoisseur

The pot is much more fun than giving it 50 points, but that would make the total of this turn too high. I could have put all kinds of figures on it, but bottom line is: I think it's gruesome stuff. It smells really repulsive, it tastes slightly less miserable than it smells, and that is what I'm saying with everything.

3. Dre73 scored this whisky 25 points Connoisseur

Especially nice to have a drink, to experience the experience. The pot is very funny, but the best way is to close it, because once opened that gruesome smell will already meet you ... As far as I am concerned, a one-off experience, this stuff is totally not spent on me.
      Wow, very strong smell right, and also a very unpleasant odor ... Rubber, paint. Wet cardboard, somewhat like spirit, weird. Bah. Actually, I do not want to have to taste this any more, but forward, show courage ...
    • Taste
      Well, to be honest, the taste is less repulsive than the smell. But that is what has been said, because it is still no fun. Strong peppers of the alcohol, something spicy, something strange sweet too, with a whole weeïge taste again. The paint is also coming again.
      Peanut, fortunately not very long, the nasty flavors have left pretty quickly, although there still remains an unpleasant light aftertaste.

4. Achany scored this whisky 41 points Connoisseur

alcoholic, bitter, too many spices, wet paint, long finish but not in a good way. the jar is nice though

5. peatbogger scored this whisky 45 points Specialist

Let's just say there's a lot of bottles that will be finished before this jar is empty ;-)

6. peatbogger scored this whisky 45 points Specialist

I have no idea, and I really don't care to investigate, but there must be a canyon of difference between batches. This is not whiskey, but give it 3-5 years in a barrel and it might well become. The first sip really put a fire to the back of my throat, but this feeling subsided with each sip, however after a decent sized dram I feel a serious heartburn in the making.
      Is it me and my nose, or what? I find nothing really bad on the nose of this one.

So there's nothing good either, but it's not repulsive.

There's stacks with soaking wet cardboard boxes, the brown corrugated kind, and heaps of fresh pencil shavings. Maybe a little metallic. And the 50% ABV is not particularly noticable.
    • Taste
      It's sour sweet. First there's a big bite of that wet cardboard again, then an artificial instantly nauseating sweetness. Not that I'm in the habit of drinking my hobby paint, but I imagine this is what acrylic paint taste like. Thick, oily yet dry, sticking to the inside of the mouth while my brain is telling me "you should not drink this".
      When the acrylic subside there is actually a rather nice note of spiced corn syrup. However it is constantly interupted by the "paint" remnants sticking to the inside of the cheeks.

7. shaven scored this whisky 1 points Member Senior

would give this a zero, had to puke as soon as i nipped it. Disgusting

8. karloff scored this whisky 4 points Specialist

This has a very strong and I am going to be kind here, acquired taste, I think it is one of them, you either love it or hate it, and I am afraid mine is the latter.

9. karloff scored this whisky 4 points Specialist

My mate brought me this back from Canada.
      Very strong nose, but that ain't necessarily a good thing especially when it's utterly butterly, terpintine, axel grease and fishy smell. Eeeugh!!! Not for me thanks.
    • Taste
      I thought this is going to taste disgusting and I was not far wrong, tastes like paint stripper.
      A very dry and long sickly finish.

10. littlebuzzed did not rate this whisky Member Senior

I was given the bottle (jar actually) as a gift and did not know what to expect as it was my first exposure to straight up moonshine. It was surprisingly smooth for 100 proof spirit.

One of those moments where you expect the worst and end up drinking half the jar. Not bad Ole Smokey, not bad at all!
      Corn...duh, sweet sugarcane, butter, jasmine?
    • Taste
      Corn syrup, oily, covers the whole mouth and stays, almost milky, little mint towards the end
      strong, more corn, it stays a while