122 × in wishlist
235 × member ratings
151 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Glengoyne 1972 MoS
38 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 93.53 points
- Bottle # 202 sold empty at ebay.
- What a fantastic whisky. This makes me all emotional. If you loved sherried whisky, than this is probably the nec ultra plus for you. 300 EUR is a lot of money, you say? True. But look for an official 40 year old and you will need to fill out more than one lottery form. And chances are, it will not be anywhere near this one. Maybe Santa will bring it, if you have been good.
I was expecting a sherry bomb and that is what it turned out to be. What a Grand Nose. Deep sherry, that is how I describe it. Prunes, apricots, rhubarb marmalade. But all so wonderfully stewed, full and luscious, without any off-note. No sulphur, no tannins. Hints of chocolate. Candid sugar and cinnamon. Soft, sweet, sultry, sumptuous.
It is soft on the palate, creamy, almost syrupy. OMG! Brown banana, dark honey, prunes, figs, vanilla, caramelized apple, grilled pineapple, fresh rhubarb, walnuts and a drop of balsamic. Nice woodspices. Ginger and nutmeg. What a great cask! Add water? You must be joking. I think not.
The bittersweet finish allows me to enjoy this dram for another handful of minutes.
- A big boy sherried whisky, but considering its status and price, I was a bit surprised that it is not more complex. Very, very good no doubt with superb balance, but I was hoping for old rancio or old books and did not find them in this one. A straightforward great sherry bomb.
- In 1-2016 this whisky was sold on whiskyauction for 1332€.
- The best whisky ever
- My best sherried dram so far..
"The neverending smelldorado - what a cask
The most beautiful flavours of future, presence and past."
All what You could hope with sophisticated old school sherry profile.
Intense, flawless, so complex sweetness having romance with woody, roasted fruit salad.. and so much more..
Gentle, minimalistic rather than spectacular but long and keeping smoothly this unforgetable whisky experience.
It delivers and it keeps the sherry monster dream alive in Your throat.
- Boah ey ... that was one of the best whisky I've ever drunk.
Lick my Ars.h. Ultimate. An insanely oily nose.
Wet tobacco, olive oil, a flag of smoke and sweetened rum raisins shoot me first. Hammer. The aromas are pressed in properly. It has something of a rum. Preserved, dark cherries float in the glass. Plus plum liqueur, dark sweetened berries and greased leather. A cooling mint catches on from the background.
With a little time in the glass, herbs get through a little more. Then neatly dried apricots with chocolate sauce. What makes me very happy is that it is not an oak board!
Spicy, mega oily full kick. With very little bitterness. Madness after these years. Also immediately brown sugar and rum raisins in the taste. A few chilli threads above. And immediately the warm chocolate sauce and sweet figs again. In terms of taste, the flag smoke goes out of the smell, more towards roasted aromas. Toast. The second sip I find something like prospan cough syrup. Because it becomes somewhat plant-based and also slightly medicinal. Also gets a little drier without losing the oily. More "juicy" dried fruit.
Rather long. Spicy and always very oily. The sugar sweetness is not lost. The chocolate is now more towards dark chocolate.
- Absolutely outstanding!
- Very nice sherry filling - top class
- Still ????