- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- The Whisky Mercenary (TWM)
- Stated Age
- 35 years old
- Number of bottles
- 48.8 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 19 Sep 2012 10:22 pm
21 × in wishlist
58 × member ratings
54 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bunnahabhain 1976 TWM
13 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 89.54 points
- This Bunna is right up there with legendary IB expressions distilled in the late 60's/early 70's!
- In many respects,
this reminds me of the 35 year old Bunna from the Nectar, but this goes over it
just a bit. I would not be surprised if this came from a fino sherry cask as
well. Wonderful Bunna. And not even 150 EUR for a 35 year old whisky. Wow.
Oh, my, this nose is
out of this World! Creamy like famer butter with a whiff of salt. Instantly
becomes very fruity with loads of banana mango and kiwi. Almost exotic. Some
apples and pears, gooseberries and apricots. Next up: marzipan, rum raisins and
a wonderful herbal side. Think basilicum, thyme and parsley! Graeffe sugar,
freshly cut grass, light oak. White chocolate. Yes, this is very complex and a
feast for the nose.
Creamy on the palate
with a good kick to the teeth from the base spices pepper and salt. The fruit
returns in full force, but is quickly joined by some bittersweet citrus. Think
grapefruit and oranges, but also some lime zest. It even has some kinine.
In the finish, which
is wonderfully long, the kinine is prominent. This is a Bunna Tonic. It end
slightly drying with a nice touch of the oak cask.
- Tasting Notes by Onversneden.com (November 28, 2012):
Delicious nose in a great combination of herbs and banana. Fresh herbs such as mint and thyme, but also parsley. Reminds me in a way, somewhat reminiscent of old high-end rum. Very high-end. But this provides some more. Raisins (rum, WELL, YES), pears imposed, ripe gooseberries, but so what especially banana fruit compartment concerned. Nuts, with an emphasis on almonds. Almond paste, marzipan. Butter. Salted butter. Soft oak and a very nice grassiness that creates depth. Complex, deep and rich. The taste is that. A taste tingling starts on silty, pepper and licorice, followed by the fruit, such as: oranges, banana and grapefruit. Underlying oak and walnuts. And hay. Beautiful dry. Green tea also. Balsamic? A little. Long finish, bittersweet in tones of licorice, oak and - what do you think - banana. Is this a sherryvat? Probably, although the color that does not betray. If yes, no active vessel in any case. Fino? That would be the case. Scored 91/100.
- Tasted ans scored 89/100 by SV on WhiskyFun.com (March 19, 2021).
Commences very fresh for its age with mainly green kiwi as well as orange. Some papaya and a small whiff of smoke.
Starts off with dusty wood, which is very different from the nose. Kiwi, citrus, peach, caramel and again a bit of smoke.
Cocoa, lime, caramel, vanilla pudding, hazelnut and smoke.
- What a big difference compared to the Bunna 1968 The Whiskyman. Splendid, fantastic, gentle and fruity nose. There is just too much going on to describe everything. On the palate it seems a bit weak and the fruitiness is not as dominant as in the nose. It turns a little peppery too. But only a few drops of water gets rid of the pepper. It's pretty much the same as in the nose, but not as prominent. It's much softer and delicate and the fruit returns. Yes ! It's a swimmer ! Wonderful Bunna this is.