- Distillery Bottling
- French Limousin Casks Finish
- 40.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- BTL 10/14/15 10:01 LOT BA 012
- Added on
- 06 Sep 2012 9:44 pm
2 × in wishlist
20 × member ratings
32 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Bastille 1789 Hand-Crafted Whisky
6 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 67.12 points
- maybe not totally awful, but dubious indeed. wine finish?
- Tasted in the living room.
Volume of moderate aromas, small fruity quite nice to the nose and mouth, reduction well managed. It's not very long but it's honest, me who was waiting for an infamous dung. Enthusiasm 3/5 Whiskey n ° 1455
- Well, it's interesting I'll grant it that. If you're looking for something acidic and sour, this is the one to go for. But there really isn't much complexity to it.
Apple vinegar. And if you leave it alone for 15-20 minutes, a hint of vanilla.
More apple vinegar. Acidic. Sour apples. Has a slight burn to it, like it's quite young spirit. If left for 15-20 min, a subtle vanilla taste emerges, and some honey.
Doesn't linger for long. Acidic aftertaste of bitter apples with a hint of honey/vanilla.
- It differs in style from the main types of world whiskies ever so remarkably. In essence, by that alone I would suggest to try it purely for educational reasons. This is nothing like Scotch, Irish, American or Japanese whisky experience. Okay, I admit perhaps this French blend is somewhat short of a natural component. There's a kind of artificiality peculiar to Bastille 1789, but also there are qualities I find amusing in some way as well.
Plums (damson/greengage), sour, marinated apples, floral nectar, thistle, bee glue, medicinal herbs, and pear cider. Smells quite unusual that, yet interesting, entertaining even.
Cough mixture, refreshing coolness of cough-lozenge, praline, toffee muffins, fudge, then bitter note of buckwheat honey, crisp browned toast, coconut, all sprinkled with cream soda lemonade.
Not long enough, alas, wanes rapidly. Liquid caramel, Baikal soft drink, some sweet astringent tingle which reminds of cola, cashew nut, coniferous, mint, ginger ale and restrained nippy citrus.