Whiskybase uses tracking cookies in order to improve the website. Do you allow Whiskybase to place these cookies?

You can always change your decision under the privacy settings of your account.

Regardless of your choice Whiskybase places functional cookies to store settings and account information.

Laphroaig 15-year-old

Dominik gave this whisky 80 points
Color
Amber
Nose

Instantly medicinal and oily. Seaweed and gasoline with a touch of smoke... I'm thinking of an industrial port and machines with big diesel engines. Not exactly a flattering imagery, I know. Luckily sweet caramel comes along and saves the day.

Taste

Mild peat, gentle and sweet. Perhaps a little tame. Still medicinal though and a bit rubbery. I also find hints of grapefruit, but I remain unimpressed.

Finish

Long. Medicinal notes with salt and fresh herbs.

Comments

Disappointing on the palate, although nose and finish were certainly okay. In terms of balance, it was too heavy on the medicinal side for my taste. Average. With that in mind, I find the 15yo pricey on the aftermarket now that it has been discontinued.

My Collection
hs305
Connoisseur hs305 Note
22 Jul 2017 3:43 pm
hs305 gave this whisky 85 points

[December, 2009]  Finally I emptied a bottle that I bought for 42,50 Euro in April, 2009.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored this 85.  My notes simply state "I like the 10 year old better"...

There is no accounting for taste...
AH Whiskyvitrine
hs305
Connoisseur hs305 Note
06 May 2017 1:00 pm
hs305 gave this whisky 85 points

[October, 2015]  I had this dram during an "Laphroaig Bicentenary" tasting at Bonn.

In my old rating system (ten scales that translate into WB points: 50 - 66 - 75 - 80 - 82,5 - 85 - 87,5 - 90 - 92,5 - 95) I scored it 85.  I took no detailed notes as I knew it before.

There is no accounting for taste...
Dhugal MacArdry
Goethe gave this whisky 89 points
Color
Amber
Nose

Cool smoke, medicinal, vanilla, salt, pepper, some citrus notes.

Taste

Sweet smoke, salt, pepper, sulphur, TCP, medicinal.

Finish

Long. Vanilla, some herbs, liquorice, TCP, pepper.

Comments
This 15y old version is way more in the TCP medicinal direction than expected. Great stuff.
Concerning price/performance ratio: 9/10
Achany
Connoisseur Achany Review note
03 Jan 2017 11:06 am
Achany gave this whisky 86 points

I found this one almost gentle - compared to other Laphroaigs I tasted recently. the peat, seaweed, smoke, all there but not so intense. the sweetness Comes through realy nicley. fine finish.

86.4
Andytka3
Connoisseur Andytka3 Review note
23 Dec 2016 6:01 pm
Andytka3 gave this whisky 88 points

Nose:- Nose heated, muddy and wet grass on a field, morning dew. Nature charm. Sea spray, seaweed and mineral note at the back. Remarkable.

Palate:- Green apple crispness, sweet vanilla and refine ash smokiness. Velvet and soft on palate with good body.

Finish:- Medium-long length, lingering. Shades of spiciness remains. Softer nature, but still a tongue numbing stuff.

— at The Whisky Bar, Kuala Lumpur.

89.2