- Whiskybase ID
- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Rare Malts Selection
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- 60.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 01 Sep 2008 3:44 pm
68 × in wishlist
222 × member ratings
320 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Port Ellen 1978
32 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 92.15 points
- Bottles # 1359 and # 2891 sold empty at ebay.
- An absolutely wonderful PE, my dearest so far, but I always get weak as soon as I find something of tea in the whisky. ;)
Surprisingly aromatic, pear, jasmine and green apple, lavender, a little grapefruit and a hint of algae, but far behind, beautiful dark malt, fresh organic spelled bread from the bakery, some lemon cake and teenagers, very mature, takes a lot of time in the glass
Beautiful overripe fruit, pear, red apple, bitter orange, black tea (and I love tea in whisky), Earl Gray, freshly prepared brown bread, forest honey with all sorts of herbs, nutmeg, oregano, clove, jasmine, lavender, black pepper, very light salt notes , Heidewiese, Harz, very round and varied at the same time
Very, very long and aromatic left, now less to no fruit, dry, tea, malt, some pepper and rosemary
- It's a little peat and fruit bomb - really good sweetness - I like it - no water needed - delicious!
Very citric, vanilla, minerals, limestone, little leafy, green fruits, honeydew, wet hay, also a few other citrus fruits, orange zest, lime, banana, spices, peat, smoke, ham and bacon - great!
Oily, creamy, sirupy, good sweetness, honey, tropical fruits, pineapple, passion fruit, ripe banana, pean and smoke, spicy, little ginger, peppery, woody, and again fruit juice and so on - superb!
Long, warm, fruity, spicy, still sweet, fine peat and smoke, not drying - excellent!
- No 3568 was sold empty on ebay in May 2021
- Smell: The elegant smoke, aromatic petals, light roasted cinnamon sticks, and citrus notes always attract me, occasionally revealing a hint of tropical fruit, and the aroma of bread, the wine is clean and vibrant. Like a very popular elegant gentleman at a dinner party, his sleeves are always straight, the perfume is just right, and a warm smile.
Drink: A full oily feeling, the aroma continues to rise in the mouth, opening, the magnificent fusion of citrus and fruit flavors (orange and pineapple), and the light smoke enriches the taste bud experience.
Feeling: You can capture most of the prey in the flavor map in this great bottle of Porter Allen. There is a high balance between flavors, a very good experience.
- good shit.
The peat, Slightly malty, burnt cinnamon smoke, under it we find juicy pineapple, and orange. Adding 3 drops of water, I get baked bread, lavenda, sea salt. Fruity aroma, porridge, with boiled apples, not nutty. 91
Oil body, porridge texture, dried Plum sour, lemon sour, vinegar sour, burnt honey or burnt sugarcane, seasoned with rich black pepper salt. Rich citrus with its peel, I see lemon and orange, both overripe, seasoned with hints of charred juicy pineapple 91
Extreme fennel, sea salt, white peppers, biscuits, malty, thick woody tannin coating the tongue. 92
- Delicious honey and fruit aroma. Subtle smoky notes that do not distract, but emphasize the taste. A long, long, beautiful aftertaste.
Fruit and honey with a little smoke. A little lime.
Sweet fruit, a little salted caramel, more sugar and more salt
Very sweet, and very long finish, with a little salt in aftertaste
- Very nice balanced port Ellen. A combination of slight apple peel, smoky, leathery, fruity taste, magnificent !!