- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- Rare Malts Selection
- Stated Age
- 20 years old
- 60.9 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Bottle code
- Added on
- 01 Sep 2008 3:44 pm
62 × in wishlist
216 × member ratings
303 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Port Ellen 1978
28 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 92.21 points
- Bottles # 1359 and # 2891 sold empty at ebay.
- Delicious honey and fruit aroma. Subtle smoky notes that do not distract, but emphasize the taste. A long, long, beautiful aftertaste.
- Very nice balanced port Ellen. A combination of slight apple peel, smoky, leathery, fruity taste, magnificent !!
Peat, lemon, bread crumbs, brown sugar.
Peat, lemon, sugar, farm, acidulous fruits. Alcohol very well integrated!
Long, persistent. Beautiful !
- Great archetypal Port Ellen. Simply loved it.
Gentle nose. Light peat smoke, maritime notes with seaweed and brine, smoked fish, lemons and grapefruits, pepper, leather and a little bit of tar. A sweet and tart feeling too. Love this nose.
Punchy, peppery, gingery and peaty with a spoon of honey. Citruses with lemons and oranges, leather and big smoke.
Long, juicy, lemony, smoky and spicy.
- https://kaypingers-whiskyblog.de/frontend/fullarticle.php?id=317 Color: pale gold / yellow Nose: salty-spicy-maritime! Finest lemon, slices of lime and grapefruit, cayenne pepper, smoky leather (saddle), some cardboard and a mild, slightly porky sweetness, which is refined with a little vanilla. After some time in the glass, the grapefruit aromas are more and more in the foreground and also a great peat note, which enhances this beautiful nose again. Taste: Full power! Spicy-peppery-spicy and loaded with a decent portion of peat. A honey-sweet fruit note with lemon, lime, avocado, a little vanilla, dry leather and again and again with these dominating phenols - great! Finish: Very long - spicy avocados, leather, some wood and smoky peat in combination with fresh herbs. 93 points N: 92P / G: 94P / F: 93P
- An absolutely wonderful PE, my dearest so far, but I always get weak as soon as I find something of tea in the whisky. ;)
Surprisingly aromatic, pear, jasmine and green apple, lavender, a little grapefruit and a hint of algae, but far behind, beautiful dark malt, fresh organic spelled bread from the bakery, some lemon cake and teenagers, very mature, takes a lot of time in the glass
Beautiful overripe fruit, pear, red apple, bitter orange, black tea (and I love tea in whisky), Earl Gray, freshly prepared brown bread, forest honey with all sorts of herbs, nutmeg, oregano, clove, jasmine, lavender, black pepper, very light salt notes , Heidewiese, Harz, very round and varied at the same time
Very, very long and aromatic left, now less to no fruit, dry, tea, malt, some pepper and rosemary
- Body: Lightly oily.
More assertive. Appetizing and arousing. Bay trees. Seaweed.
More expressive, fruity, dryish flavours. Fruity olive oil. Parsley.
Salty. Smoky. Oaky. Extremely peppery.