- Single Malt
- Distillery Bottling
- Bottling serie
- 2nd Release
- 46.0 % Vol.
- 700 ml
- Added on
- 08 Aug 2012 1:59 pm
11 × in wishlist
33 × member ratings
48 × in collection
Whisky Reviews for Balblair 1997
9 users have left a review for this whisky and scored it an average of 86.29 points
- This is one of the best "bang-for-your-buck" Whiskies that I have tried sofar. A great Single Malt at an affordable price which isn't easy to come by these days. Very fruity and complex. A personal favourite in its price range for sure!
- Nose: What a delight : vanilla, sweet honey, pineapple, banana peel , fruit and ginger candy.you can call it fruit salad madness , and you’d be right. so nice. honey, the aromas just scream out there to you, no need to go looking’ bits of lemon curd here and there. truly lovely stuff! when you let it rest you get a bit of charred wood. Fruit noses do not get any better than this. Fine stuff!
Palate: Ginger powder, malty, lemon tart, biscuity and malty, with the apples underneath, wood spices, and an exotic fruit i can’t put my finger on, bits of white pepper too. An orgy of flavours just playing with your palate, as you smile in delight.
Finish: Medium, zingy, ginger and fruit.
A fine whisky, fruity, sweet, with enough highland character too, and a delight to sniff and quaff.Balblair know their work eh?
- Still excellent but disappointingly, there's less subtle complexity than the 1st releases.
Scores a B
- A personal favourite!
The influence of the oak is easily detectable, a very nice vanilla smell. It`s a bit grassy, also some coconut shavings and a some glue, but in a pleasant way. There is some green apple and something tropical.
Some saltiness at first but then it gets sweet. Spicy and very creamy as well.
A medium to long finish, very spicy again.
- Crisp, fruity nose with loads of complexity: tropical fruits (pineapple and mango) mingle with banana, ripe orchard fruits (apples and pears), butter toffee, fresh mint and vanilla. It only got better with time in the glass. Really wonderful stuff...a nose you could happily spend a whole night with! Spicy and peppery on the palate, with a fair bit of alcohol burn (it feels higher than the 46%). Not as complex or distinguished as the nose. Long and spicy finish, ending on a wonderful creamy (cream soda?) note. A really cracking dram for the price.
- Great whisky, complex, needs time and patience to explore. Late evening dram.
Mango, pineapple, fragrant, floral (carnation), cinnamon, later orange zest
Ginger, coffee beans, meaty (game), full-bodied, well balanced, slightly adstringent
Quite long, in the end slightly but not unpleasantly dry, hint of walnuts